Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just a side note: You can't rely on those settings on the seeders...they're all different. It kind of drives me nuts that ever time I rent one I have to calibrate it, making wish I owned one so that I could "get to know it." What I do is put 5 pounds or so in to start with and see what kind of coverage I get and then tweak the setting. Also, make sure that the inside of the hopper is clean with no pieces of bag in them...people tend to get pieces and parts of woven seed bags in the hoppers that get wrapped up in the little paddle and can restrict the flow. It also drives me nuts that just because you close the gate doesn't mean it stops dropping seed.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Darryl very true what I find with seeders is they drop WAAAY too much seed down for the setting as indicated on the chart on the machine. I.E. you start out running a setting 7, and run 10 lbs of seed out after 10 feet End up at a setting 2.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I fill the hopper from a can that we got with cookies or popcorn or something in it as a holiday gift. I use it to scoop out of the 50 pound seed bags. It happens to hold right around 5 pounds of seed and has a cover too. I can put seed in it in the spring and toss it in my truck for fixing plow damage or whatever...keeps it dry and keeps the mice out too.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I just had my front yard put in with new screened soil (10,400 sq ft) and they applied 75lbs of seed. Does that sound right?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT777 View Post
I just had my front yard put in with new screened soil (10,400 sq ft) and they applied 75lbs of seed. Does that sound right?
7 lbs per K sounds pretty good. Hope it was a high quality seed blend and not annual rye or K31.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
7 lbs per K sounds pretty good. Hope it was a high quality seed blend and not annual rye or K31.
Tag off of bags read:

Elite Mixture

20% Patriot 4 Rye
20% Stellar Rye
20% Wild Horse KBG
20% Homegrown Rye
20% Gaelic KBG

All from Oregon and it says all rye is perennial.
Purchased from local farm and seed supplier.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That mix will germinate fast and look great this fall but then struggle next summer when things get hot and dry. Rye is commonly used by construction guys and lazy landscapers who just want germination and don't want to take the time to establish a turf type tall fescue lawn.

Quote:
Tag off of bags read:

Elite Mixture

20% Patriot 4 Rye
20% Stellar Rye
20% Wild Horse KBG
20% Homegrown Rye
20% Gaelic KBG

Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnine44 View Post
That mix will germinate fast and look great this fall but then struggle next summer when things get hot and dry. Rye is commonly used by construction guys and lazy landscapers who just want germination and don't want to take the time to establish a turf type tall fescue lawn.
Woah, woah, woah! So TTTF is the only type of grass that should be grown? I'm a big fan of TTTF for low maintenance areas, poor soil in full sun, etc...basically places where it's about the only thing that has a chance of surviving the summer, but there are more desirable grasses out there, IMO. TTTF is a fairly coarse grass that grows fairly rapidly and tends to fall over by the time you show up to cut it the following week, doesn't handle shade very well, doesn't repair itself or spread well. I much prefer the fine fescues in most cases mixed with a little PR and KBG in my area.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Tag off of bags read:

Elite Mixture

20% Patriot 4 Rye
20% Stellar Rye
20% Wild Horse KBG
20% Homegrown Rye
20% Gaelic KBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnine44 View Post
Can't say as I agree -- I think that is a pretty good mix (60%PRG/40%KBG), and will establish a very nice KBG lawn. By seed count it's overwhelmingly KBG, which means that when it gets hot next year the KBG should start to out-compete the ryegrass. A KBG lawn is not a lazy contractors lawn IMO. However, its getting a little late to give the KBG the best chance to establish. I also agree with the above comments on TTTF. Not my favorite for a really fine lawn, although it's great for low maintenance situations in many areas.

Last edited by maynardGkeynes; 09-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Woah, woah, woah! So TTTF is the only type of grass that should be grown? I'm a big fan of TTTF for low maintenance areas, poor soil in full sun, etc...basically places where it's about the only thing that has a chance of surviving the summer, but there are more desirable grasses out there, IMO. TTTF is a fairly coarse grass that grows fairly rapidly and tends to fall over by the time you show up to cut it the following week, doesn't handle shade very well, doesn't repair itself or spread well. I much prefer the fine fescues in most cases mixed with a little PR and KBG in my area.
The KBG wouldnt be too bad but it is no guarantee that will germinate. KBG is a harder to establish and often home owners lack the watering dilegence needed. We know the Rye will come up and will likely burn out next summer without high levels of care. In my opinion, and in my area (could be different elsewhere) TTTF is really the only choice.