Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Winter Project-Air ride my Toro!

My back hurts. Heck with the suspension seats. I want to put a big old Mack truck seat on my mower with polished aluminum air tank mounted to the back of the seat. I dont care what it costs. I can put it on future mowers too. The problem is seat height. If I lose the stock suspension blocks then I have about a foot to work with. The air ride in my International is 19" with my weight on it. I could put extensions on the mower handles and the deck assist but Im not sure about that.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Picture of your mower? Is it possible to mount the seat lower? It would require some cutting but on some mowers it would be possible. You may be able to shorten the seat frame as well.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Alot of chrome shops sell a lowrider seat that would work better for this application.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What mower are you running?

What you need is a Dixie Chopper with springer front forks, a suspension seat and high floatation turf boss tires.

Smoothest ride out there on a mower.

That or get a stander to add to the fleet and mix it up between the stander and ride-on.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They are the newest Toro large frame mowers. G3, they call them. Very happy with the brand, not going to make any changes there. Below the seat are 2 inch rubber blocks which are mounted to a steel plate that sits milimeters above the tank and fans so the current set up is as low as its going to get. I can only go up! I will check into this low rider you speak of!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
They are the newest Toro large frame mowers. G3, they call them. Very happy with the brand, not going to make any changes there. Below the seat are 2 inch rubber blocks which are mounted to a steel plate that sits milimeters above the tank and fans so the current set up is as low as its going to get. I can only go up! I will check into this low rider you speak of!
Trust me, you need to at least go demo a Dixie Chopper with the springer forks, suspension seat and high floatation tires. Huge difference in ride comfort.

I was using an older silver eagle Dixie on a farm property. Only 50" wide with no special seat or anything and it was extremely rough. When I started using the Dixie 60" Classic with all the bells and whistles, I was able to go from almost three hours mowing slow to save my back, to 1.5 hours mowing at almost full speed due to the ride comfort.

When it comes to your back and daily pain, brand loyalty goes out the window as far as I'm concerned.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The low rider seat may be to tall for that appilcation. Check into an air ride seat taken from a GMC c7500 COE truck they come with a manuel air pump built in so that you wouldn't need a tank. About 10" from bottom of bracket to bottom of the seat. The G3 frame is the same as the Exmark frame if I remember correct which isn't much room to work with being the fuel tank is under the seat.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could get yourself a Milsco V5400. I believe that's what they use on the big Gravelys. It would bolt right on and not not put your head up above the ROPS!

Although, I'm not sure it's a whole lot better than their mechanical suspension seat.

Q
Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Just go buy the seat that comes on the new Gravely 460 and put it on your Toro i just bought a new Toro and they had the 460 Gravely sitting next to it i think you could make it work fairly easy,in case you dont know the Gravely seat is a 100% air ride seat.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sitting up 19inches... sounds like your center of gravity will be all screwed up, and sideways hill mowing will become sketchy

PlowSite-SnowFakers