Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

when a neighbor blows your lawn service in to the water authority

I have a customer that lives on a canal. The neighbor across the canal said that we blew the leaves from the lawn into the water of the canal and the leaves are filling up the banks and water way. My customer asked if I did this and of course I would not do such a thing. I mulch leaves with my mower. What should I do? He is calling the water authority on me for something I did not do. When I see this guy I am going to have some words with him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You ABSOLUTELY have to be humble or you will loose this thing. Keep your cool and you will be fine. If you didn't do it then there is no evidence to prove that and you know it. I hate the feeling you are having right now, I've been there. Keep cool or you will instantly be blamed as that is easier than dealing with some ahole. This is how I win these deals. Let the other side blow it, and they will. The type that makes a call like this can't help it. It's their nature to whine and cry and when they don't get their way it's all over for them.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are so right about keeping your cool. I am going to keep my cool but deep deep down I am very frustrated when this is a false claim.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Show them your mulch plates on the mowers...most times people try to explain something such as the leaves on the bank by throwing the lawn guy under the bus because they cannot figure out any other logical explanation...
Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess they can't blame mother nature.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a**holes everywhere. The guy has no proof, since you didn't do it. So they can't do anything. Relax, and maybe think about dropping the customer if there are any other altercations. This kind of nonsense is absolutely not worth it. Idiot neighbors are the bane of my existence.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Until someone with some sort of official capacity decides to talk to me about it, I wouldn't spend another minute thinking about it. You know you didn't do it. You can explain exactly how your equipment works and what it does and why you aren't the culprit in this instance. I wouldn't bother explaining anything to anyone other than your client or the appropriate authority on the matter. And only if asked would I bother explaining how it wasn't you. As a matter of fact, I would probably make the authority explain why they think it must be me first. But I honestly wouldn't give it another thought until someone with some authority comes asking questions. You must have something more pressing to spend time thinking about.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Relax and don't worry about something you didn't do. Stop stressing out about something that is so dumb and small you shouldn't waste a second more thinking about it. If they call you tell the truth that you didn't do it and stand your ground. End of story. Ignore that neighbor, he's just going to try and provoke you into a blow up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it comes up between you and your customer apologize and move on. Apologize for any trouble you might have caused the customer. Tell them "I'm sorry you have such a troublesome neighbor and that I got them all worked up" Your customer knows you are better than this and will tell you. I wouldn't expect anything to come from this. You probably won't even get a call.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I put my high quality time into every property and follow excellent turf practices.and to be questioned on this . The funny this is that my customer and this a** hole are good friends.
Posted via Mobile Device