Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a scag v ride and while I have not used a GS or Vantage I have looked at them closely at local dealer. Even thought the Scag consumes more fuel, I think you get a better built machine. The frame on the Exmark/Toro model seems lighter and not as thick. The hydraulic oil resevoir is right out on top of the mower on GS and hides nicely under the steering column on the Scag. Scag just makes better longer lasting stuff. The steering controls on the GS seem loosey goosey while the Scag is very tight and percise. Just my thoughts on looking at GS and Vantage closely. I personally think they make overpriced junk, with inferior and cheap parts. One think I do like about gRANDSTAND is that the deck is suspending from metal arms and not chains like the Scag. The deck balance and pitch gets out of wack too easy on the Scag.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I have a scag v ride and while I have not used a GS or Vantage I have looked at them closely at local dealer. Even thought the Scag consumes more fuel, I think you get a better built machine. The frame on the Exmark/Toro model seems lighter and not as thick. The hydraulic oil resevoir is right out on top of the mower on GS and hides nicely under the steering column on the Scag. Scag just makes better longer lasting stuff. The steering controls on the GS seem loosey goosey while the Scag is very tight and percise. Just my thoughts on looking at GS and Vantage closely. I personally think they make overpriced junk, with inferior and cheap parts. One think I do like about gRANDSTAND is that the deck is suspending from metal arms and not chains like the Scag. The deck balance and pitch gets out of wack too easy on the Scag.
That's funny you mention the frames.. I have seen & heard of several V-rides frames breaking especially the 52in models but not none on the GS or vantage.. I am currently looking at a 36" vantage & think they look really good. I like the V-rides as well, had a chance to get one 2 years ago but went with a walk behind instead, just like the way the toro & exmark have the fold up platform for walking while the Scag is a stander only... Saw on here earlier Gravely is coming out with a 36in stander as well next season..
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
That's funny you mention the frames.. I have seen & heard of several V-rides frames breaking especially the 52in models but not none on the GS or vantage.. I am currently looking at a 36" vantage & think they look really good. I like the V-rides as well, had a chance to get one 2 years ago but went with a walk behind instead, just like the way the toro & exmark have the fold up platform for walking while the Scag is a stander only... Saw on here earlier Gravely is coming out with a 36in stander as well next season..
You are wrong about the Scag V Ride not having a fold up platform. It not just a stander. You can walk behind the machine the same as the Vantage.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo View Post
You are wrong about the Scag V Ride not having a fold up platform. It not just a stander. You can walk behind the machine the same as the Vantage.
That's a first & never seen anyone using one like a WB.. post a video I would like to se that...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I've walked behind mine before but never more than for a few feet at a time. Not really sure why you would want to walk and entire property either. But the 2013 and newer vrides have the same flip style platform that completely folds away.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvldesign View Post
I've walked behind mine before but never more than for a few feet at a time. Not really sure why you would want to walk and entire property either. But the 2013 and newer vrides have the same flip style platform that completely folds away.
Posted via Mobile Device
But that's for trailer storage isn't it? Say its spring time & the ground is really soft you could walk that property eliminating extra weight, but the v ride doesn't have WB mode does it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes the 2013 does. Also by taking the safety switch off so do the other ones. Just wire around it. I had grass in my other one for over a year before I discovered that's why I could get off mine with blades running.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvldesign View Post
Yes the 2013 does. Also by taking the safety switch off so do the other ones. Just wire around it. I had grass in my other one for over a year before I discovered that's why I could get off mine with blades running.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cool didn't know 2013 models have WB mode...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Using a gs as a wb is just a marketing ploy by toro. I am not blinded by brand loyalty like many other lcos. Here is the bad on my 2013 grandstand.

1. Be prepared to scrape the deck daily
2. Not the best cut on weedy properties
3. Not the best in wet conditions

The good

1. Very comfortable and not fatiguing
2. User friendly without the operator presence controls
like some other standes
3. The most agile of all of the standers I tested out with
the exception of the wright
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

How easily do these 2 get over curbs? What about ditches? I will be buying one of these stand on's (36") for next season, this thread is pretty helpful, thanks.

Tags
deere , scag , toro , turboforce , velocity plus