Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf Loader with enclosed trailer

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone on here has installed a leaf loader on the front of an enclosed trailer. I do have the extended tongue on my trailer and would like to suck up grass clippings and leaves rather than loading with cans. Looking for information and pictures of how to mount a unit like this.

Also I am not looking to suck up huge piles of leaves as this would be used primarily for grass clippings throughout the year. Is there a specific hp I should look into? I am looking to spend under 3k and am looking into all loaders.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Would it be possible to mount the loader on the front of the truck and run the tube back to the bed? There's pictures of a guys truck that did that and it looked as though it would work great. It's in a thread on here somewhere.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I would rather mount it on the front of the trailer, this way I can switch trucks if needed.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the trailer and tongue length it might not be easy. Something with an extended tongue might be easy enough.

Im with the idea of mounting to the truck. Do your trucks have boxes on them already ? I can see making a mess and losing a window if your wanting to load a regular pickup truck like this.

Im looking at the idea of mounting one up on a open trailer that has 2' sides so that I can just dump on the trailer and vac up the pile once I dump a few times.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The trailer is 20 feet long and my trucks have dump inserts in them which I will adjust to handle the debris which are blown into them
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajordan193 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I would rather mount it on the front of the trailer, this way I can switch trucks if needed.
I guess if you have enough room it should work. You'd have to come up with a way to mount it. If you're good at fabbing metal then you shouldn't have any issues. My biggest concern would be clearance from hitting the truck when turning. If you know there's enough room then go for it.

The DL13 series Billy Goat seems like a good unit. I was looking into the same option as you only I have a ton of leaves to deal with each season. It's also within your budget so you'll have room (spare money) to fab a mounting system. They offer options that allow you to custom fit the unit to your needs. No, I'm not a BG dealer or anything. I just feel they have a good leaf loader and when the time comes, I'll more then likely buy that very unit.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bumping this back up, would like to hear from people who have done this set-up or even have pictures. Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't think you need a huge loader with a ton of hp as if you were sucking up leaves. I do remember a couple of months ago in the picture section there was a company that had red mason dumps and had a leaf loader mounted to each one for the same purpose. I doubt that helps you but I do remember another company doing it and being successful. If I am able to find, I will post you the link.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

16 hp works decent with a 14 ft trailer unless your after 12 cleanups a day.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I did this for two seasons on both my extended toungue enclosed trailers. I used u bolts to hold down the 20 hp giant vacs a piece of tire in between to lessen the vibration. Worked great with my 550 and 350 ( with 550 rear springs ) but with the trailers loaded and the extra toungue weight I destroyed the axels. Shattered about 12 sets of wheel bearings over those two years and one axel was damaged so badly it had to be replaced They were the 3500 lb axels. I wish I spent the extra 1000 and got the 5k axels. Do not Do this to yourself only recvomended if u have the heavier axels. Other wise make sure u have the extended tongues and use lock tite on the threads for the 6 nuts of the u bolts. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device