Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

New to Sod, help

I have never layed down sod yet, I watched numerous youtube videos though.

Do you need a tiller?

How much to charge for a job like this?

here is the property, sorry for the poor quality lost the photo I took so I got this from google maps but I highlighted the area that needs sod

They only want the front part I highlighted, and there is no back yard it is just a driveway back there

Last edited by TigerPops; 09-19-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: error
Old 09-19-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

All depends on the yard now.Might need to kill it off I don;t like to rototill because if you go deep in some spots and it settles then it has a wavy look to it.Better to add some topsoil to even it out.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

If the area is already grass free and prepped and all you have to do is order the sod and lay it, the first thing you need to do is figure out how many sqft of sod you need. One pallet of sod will cover approximately 450 sqft.

As for pricing the job, it really depends on what the going rate is in your area. Where I live (Houston, TX area) the going rate is $140-$150 per pallet of sod installed.
50" Toro zero turn
36" John Deere WB
Husqvarna 22" push mower
Echo trimmers,edger and blower
Other misc rakes, shovels etc.

www.fatzlawncare.com
Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatz View Post
If the area is already grass free and prepped and all you have to do is order the sod and lay it, the first thing you need to do is figure out how many sqft of sod you need. One pallet of sod will cover approximately 450 sqft.

As for pricing the job, it really depends on what the going rate is in your area. Where I live (Houston, TX area) the going rate is $140-$150 per pallet of sod installed.

grass is not completely gone its just in very bad shape, patches, dead grass looks but its still there...

I mow one of his other houses, but this house his tenant mows I think he scalps the grass. I want to try and get this house to mow because I know if I lay the sod down this guy might just kill it once again.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPops View Post
grass is not completely gone its just in very bad shape, patches, dead grass looks but its still there...

I mow one of his other houses, but this house his tenant mows I think he scalps the grass. I want to try and get this house to mow because I know if I lay the sod down this guy might just kill it once again.
If there is still grass there you'll want to kill it first, especially if you're laying something different. Is it possible to salvage what's already there?
50" Toro zero turn
36" John Deere WB
Husqvarna 22" push mower

www.fatzlawncare.com
Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Maybe I am misreading this, but are you saying you install sod for 33 cents plus material, or 33 with material? And does that include prep or is that just installing on Tract homes or something similar
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Maybe I am misreading this, but are you saying you install sod for 33 cents plus material, or 33 with material? And does that include prep or is that just installing on Tract homes or something similar
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure where you're getting the 33 cents, but the $140.00-$150.00 per pallet doesn't include prep work of any kind, just delivery and laying sod. If prep work needs to be done that's an extra cost.
50" Toro zero turn
36" John Deere WB
Husqvarna 22" push mower

www.fatzlawncare.com
Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$150/450 sf. Price per foot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

https://www.pacificearth.com/per_docs/sod2.html

Here it is from the biggest west coast specialty sod supplier. They do most of the custom sod blends for most of the U.S. sport stadiums.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If there is still grass there you'll want to kill it first, especially if you're laying something different. Is it possible to salvage what's already there?
maybe the side part that goes up the side a bit, but that would be about it. I would have to level the ground its in horrible shape right towards the front wall... So there might be a good amount of prep work even after tilling it... I probably need bag or 2 of top soil to even it out .

Im talking to the guy soon, I want him to visibly see what I have to do because he is the owner but rents the property out so I dont think he knows the exact condition its in.