Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

MP3 Ear Protection for Big Heads?

I just started out in lawn care. I took a job as a sub doing REO lawns and found out I really like the work. I don't want to do REO anymore and want to switch to residential.

I've been using my residential John Deere lawn tractor and picked up a Stihl Kombisystem KM130. I bought myself a Ferris Evolution 48/27 yesterday from a dealer as a demo unit for $5000. It's got 55 hours on it but still a full 2 year warranty. I'm noticing with the upgraded equipment that they're a lot louder. My problem is I have a wide head and want to be able to listen to music through my phone.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks, this site has been invaluable for gathering information about this business.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Same thing with eye protection for a fat head if anybody knows a good brand. I have a hard time buying sunglasses that fit right.

Thanks again
Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to lowes and get the earmuffs that have a radio built in. However it does come with a small wire the connects to your phone or whatever so you can play music from that into the earmuffs. Cant remember what they are called riht now
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

^^boom
I think they are "work tunes" by 3m. Not sure. Best ones out there are at lowes. Digital display and low battery indicator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks I just ordered them
Old 09-25-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use several different sets of ear buds. SkullCandy are my favorites. I've got the work tunes but don't care for them, too hot and bulky for my tastes. I've also used the 3M earbuds and they were okay. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...1273-/108-4260
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Beyerdynamic Ear Buds underneath a set of earmuffs works best for me. I have tried the earmuff radio combo and have a hard time finding anything that excels at both the properties you would look for in ear muff while still delivering quality mids, highs and deep lows....so I have not ventured away from the ear buds and earmuff combo.
These are two of your "tools" that will without a doubt get used more hours than any other tool alone...so invest and get quality.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was on the program for a while of combining bluetooth earbuds with earmuffs, but I've found these earbuds can block enough noise without even using the earmuffs over them. LG HBS-700 bluetooth stereo headset.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get some shures and drop the coin on a set of custom molds. Unless you have a tight acoustic seal you will do more damage then good.

I have a 500.00 set for playing music live. Triple drivers and amazing isolation.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5943 View Post
I just started out in lawn care. I took a job as a sub doing REO lawns and found out I really like the work. I don't want to do REO anymore and want to switch to residential.

I've been using my residential John Deere lawn tractor and picked up a Stihl Kombisystem KM130. I bought myself a Ferris Evolution 48/27 yesterday from a dealer as a demo unit for $5000. It's got 55 hours on it but still a full 2 year warranty. I'm noticing with the upgraded equipment that they're a lot louder. My problem is I have a wide head and want to be able to listen to music through my phone.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks, this site has been invaluable for gathering information about this business.
It's not that they're louder, it's that the engine doesn't have any kind of shroud/hood over it, and is located directly behind your head. Just an FYI