Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great input from everyone, I'm in the same boat, looks great, but i dunno. I just found out about the exmark 30 commercial and now the toro, both are basically the same, but i still wonder about quality of cut, no point having a 30 inch mower if it misses a bunch of blades, then they just blow in the wind lol. Hope to hear more about them soon. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I'll let other people try the machines out first before committing to buying them. I was one of the first people to get an exmark 26" mower when it came out in 2005 and it was a complete disaster. I paid $2 000 for it. Exmark finally agreed to let me trade in the exmark 26" for an exmark 21" metro about a year and half later. I don't want to experience that again. Both of these 30" machines look great but it just seems like it will be a retake of the 26". The 6 hp Kawi is decent on the 21" unit. How will it function on a machine that is 9" wider and a lot heavier. The 26" metro weighs about 150-160 pounds. The 30" unit might be a bit more.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i am concerned more about the trans too-yet only a few have brought it up. it better not be a one speed. the kawi fj180 is the strongest motor for its size i have ever seen.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can't believe the number of folks drooling all over themselves over a disposable 21" trim mower, get one of these time wasters for $200-$300 at the big box store, run it until the wheels fall off, throw it away and get another, worst thing about those cheap units is the height settings like to come undone while working it requires constant supervision but I can't see spending 1 or 2 grand for a trimmer on wheels, give me a break, they ain't worth fixing, they ain't worth fooling with, the only thing 21's are good for is where the bigger mowers can't reach and where string trimming isn't practical, other than that they are disposable units so when the transmission breaks we don't even discuss how many speeds it has, if it isn't fast enough or it doesn't want to move right I just push it myself like the name says it's a push mower, they are not heavy, you don't even need it to self-propel, and I sure as heck ain't gonna be spending no thousand plus on one and I don't care if smiley's pointing at the front plastic wheel.

Last edited by herler; 10-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

come here to florida and try to push a mower tru thick st aug grass at 95 deg heat. also here many have pools in back yards with gates that a big mower cant get tru because the law says all pool gates must be sefl closing/latching.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some simple math shows that powering 1 21 inch blade is almost identical to powering 2 15 inch blades. I honestly don't think power will be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
First, it needs a three-speed transmission similar to the Proline.

Second, it really needs a little more power than the FJ180v can deliver. It's a nice engine on a 21" mower, and I am sure it will work ok. But trying to mulch thick St Augustine is going to be a struggle. Unfortunately I don't think there is a better choice.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
Some simple math shows that powering 1 21 inch blade is almost identical to powering 2 15 inch blades. I honestly don't think power will be an issue.
Would you can to show us the simple math? I don't need math to tell me that 2 15" blades weigh more than 1 21" blade, and are therefore, harder to get up to speed and harder to keep up to speed in thick grass, than 1 21" blade.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

Remember, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is is how far you move the wall after you hit it.
Well said.................
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 110 4-Mix String Trimmer
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Sthil HS-81 Hedge Trimmer
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator
Lawn Soultions WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers
Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post

Please explain. Seems to me you are cutting 40% more grass. You now have some parasitic losses due to the blade(s) not being direct drive. And you are requiring the drive system to lug around an extra 50-60 lbs of mower weight.

One other thing I got to thinking about. The commercial 21" shows you how heavy it is when you have to pull it backwards. It's really noticeable when on a slight incline. Pulling 170 lbs is going to be even worse.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think all the naysayers should just stay with their current setup. 21 inch mowers are ok for some but not for me. Use whatever you want there is no perfect mower. Yes the larger deck may not do as well in thick wet grass but I will never use a 21 inch as long as the 30" is running. My time is valuable and I have nothing but complements on the lawns I use it on, and the time we save each week is money in the bank. Now if a lawn is over fertilized and wet and I need to cut it short then I'll get out my 60 ztr and do it to get it under control. Everyone who cuts in bad conditions where a 21 inch struggles then obviously the larger mower would only be for dry conditions if you can afford to have 1 of each its a no brainer. Just my 2 cents worth take it or leave it makes no difference to me.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong