Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Gas Cards - 911

We ran into a situation where one of our employees took a gas card, went to a gas station and stole many thousand dollars of gas by filling cars for a cash discount.

We are a large district and the crew chiefs must have gas cards - has anyone come up with a solution to this problem.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Was the employee a crew chief? Do you have Fleet Card for fuel?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Gas Cards - 911

You need to look in to getting a fuel station at your shop. Then they can fill up there and it is cheaper to buy bulk fuel
Old 09-27-2012, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
What is a fleet card? We have cards that can only be used at a gas station. Every truck has a card where only a few guys on the truck know the number.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcog View Post
You need to look in to getting a fuel station at your shop. Then they can fill up there and it is cheaper to buy bulk fuel
Good point, I'll look into that, I think the Vally Crest guys have one at there shop. I'll have to find out if we are filling up multiple time a day though. I wouldn't want them coming back to the shop. Some accounts are an hour away.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Fleet card is a gas card that requires a pin number in order to use it. You can use them a various gas stations, instead of just a single gas station like a Chevron or Shell card would be. Talk to your card provider and see about limiting the number of transactions, per day, that a card can be used. See if they offer any system that notifies you if the limit is reached.

Keep in mind, just because you have a pin on a card doesn't mean other employees don't know it. A crew leader can easily share the pin with others without you knowing.

I'd also look into on site fueling. I've looked into it before and if your running a large fleet its a good way to keep track of exactly where your gas is going.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
Good point, I'll look into that, I think the Vally Crest guys have one at there shop. I'll have to find out if we are filling up multiple time a day though. I wouldn't want them coming back to the shop. Some accounts are an hour away.
How many times a day are your trucks being refueled?? Once a day should be more than enough. Have them top off the trucks and gas before returning to shop. This should help the problem and increase productivity lost during the day and reduce your "morning circus"
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes Fleet Cards are PINed & can be used at many gas stations that accept Fleet.

I was wondering if employee that sold gas was crew chief, cuz if it was NOT...You need to impelment new rules. Change PINs & ONLY crew chiefs can have PIN & have consequences spelled out for giving out the PIN.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i thought those fleet cards were vehicle specific and either required mileage to be entered at the pump or something to track how much fuel was being bought at any one time and then showed up as a red flag on the statement if something were amiss.

might be time consuming but could you possibly require employees to manually enter data onto a sheet in truck so that you can compare when statement comes in? or one card per employee that needs one? then you can track how much each employee purchases
Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
i thought those fleet cards were vehicle specific and either required mileage to be entered at the pump or something to track how much fuel was being bought at any one time and then showed up as a red flag on the statement if something were amiss.

might be time consuming but could you possibly require employees to manually enter data onto a sheet in truck so that you can compare when statement comes in? or one card per employee that needs one? then you can track how much each employee purchases
The caulking company I work for uses the Fleet cards & are labeled vehicle specific. I drive Silver F350 my card says Silver Bullet. Bosses wife/secretary drives Mercedes Benz & hers says Benz. BUT we just have to enter PIN. I use my card to fill fuel cans for our Boom Lifts & Sprayers/Power Washers, ETC. I also fuel other company trucks that are driven by someone else or if I am driving something other then my F350. If they wanted to really monitor Fuel they should have a card for each of the 5 trucks & have another for equipement.
Posted via Mobile Device