Ok, I'm looking for the best 21 inch mower advailable. Whitch means:
Mulch great
Bag better
Super reliable and productive self propel
Super powerful and reliable engine
Highest cut quality
Reliability and productivity are key!
Money is no abject
I have NO preference for brands, build types, (hydrostatic, belt) whatever works the best!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snapper High Vac commerical.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think there will be compromises with any mower. But I keep going back to Toro HD commercials. The 22197 has the Kawi FJ180v KAI engine. It's noticeably more powerful than its Honda counterpart found on the 22195.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Toro Prolines like the 22197 and 22198 are very popular around here and are built like tanks. I also would look into the Exmark Commercial 21, the new one they came out with two years ago. I used them and love them, they mulch well with the new Exmark blade on it and bag like no other. I was talking to the guys from a local LCO today and they are running the S Series self propelled models and love them.

Snappers are good too and are cheap. Hondas I have a mixed opinion on as some people love them and some people hate them.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
The Toro Prolines like the 22197 and 22198 are very popular around here and are built like tanks. I also would look into the Exmark Commercial 21, the new one they came out with two years ago. I used them and love them, they mulch well with the new Exmark blade on it and bag like no other. I was talking to the guys from a local LCO today and they are running the S Series self propelled models and love them.

Snappers are good too and are cheap. Hondas I have a mixed opinion on as some people love them and some people hate them.
I will agree, I love them as well.

KR
Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Exmark Commercial 21 at the beginning of this season and i would not trade it for nothing! Thats coming from a guy that is everything John Deere no matter what.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with those above about the toro hd's i.e. 22197 etc. as probably being the best- if they fit you. I'd have gone that route myself, but since those models have by far the shortest handlebars of all the commercial 21's, I had to settle for lower quality in order to get taller handles.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The best 21" on the market are the Hondas. Specifically the commercial HRC-216-HXA.
  • Hydrostatic
  • Comes stock with an Excellent twin-blade mulching system
  • Best bagging capability of any 21" mower out there - hands down. We bag wet grass for at least 6 months out of the year and we mow 280+ lawns every week. Trust me when I tell you nothing bags better - especially in wet grass.
  • The most reliable 21" on the market. Starts every time by the 2nd or 3rd pull - for as long as you own it - as long as you take care of them.
  • Most sturdy and heavy duty built 21" mower out there.

Only disadvantages really are that they are the most expensive 21" mower and that they are a little heavier than most other 21" mowers. Those are the two reasons most companies don't buy them. You'll see a lot of companies touting Toros, Snappers, Exmark, even John Deere maybe. But the truth is that if Hondas weren't so expensive and heavy most everyone would be buying Hondas. They're the best and have been for as long as I've been in the business. We've tried everything. We're even trying out the new Exmark 21" this fall. But every time we've tried something else out, it doesn't compare. So STILL - every one of our 5 crews still runs all 21" Honda HRC-216-HXA mowers. So far still the best.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-21-2012, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
The best 21" on the market are the Hondas. Specifically the commercial HRC-216-HXA.
We are running 4 of them, got all of them this spring when we got rid of the old CC989s. Love the Honda. But like you said, the only downside is they are heavier.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

the driveshaft is the downfall on honda. isnt durabale enough and expencive to replace.