Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jacobsen HR-6010

I'm bidding a 2 year contract that has about 30 acres of grass to be cut.

It's mostly wide open, but will require at least one ZTR for trim work.

The largest wide open area is an infield requiring double striping. (max 10' stripes) It's 1.3 million sq/ft - so 24 acres of cutting to do cross stripes (12 acres twice). I only get one day a week to do cut the infield.

Am I better just to spend 7-8 hours in the ZTR and have a second ZTR mowing the rest of the property? Or is it worth getting a batwing mower like the Jacobsen and cutting it in 2-3?

Will the Jacobsen do nice stripes?

Can I do anything with this machine in the winter? Take the decks off and plow walkways?

They go for about $18,000 CDN used. I knew someone years ago with a larger new one, and it was riddled with hydraulic leaks. Is this common? Will I spend another $8,000 a year on repairs and downtime?

If I buy the 12' mower I'm going to go after a few other wide open properties. However, if it won't stripe nice, clear stripes, it's not worth my investment.

Thanks, Mike
Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have 2 of the Jacobsen HR 6010's for a 350 acre site we do. The jacobsens seemed like a good idea in theory, but unless the areas are totally wide open, its tough to manoeuvre an 11ft deck around obstacles. You will save time overall, but on that small of a site you would not be further ahead by the time you purchase and maintain a jac vs a smaller unit.

The "low hour" jac's we bought for a smoking hot deal cost me another 50% within the first 3 months of use to keep them running.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should add- we were cutting a rough site, not a level and manicured sports field. As for stripes, I'm sure you could fab something up to enhance if you aren't happy