Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2003, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Pocket PC's in the field?

Anyone using these in their daily routines? As a step up from the Palm's and PDA's, I thought these might be useful on the go. More power to do actual chores with, instead of just managing a contact list.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Anyone using these in their daily routines? As a step up from the Palm's and PDA's, I thought these might be useful on the go. More power to do actual chores with, instead of just managing a contact list.
I have a Palm Pilot and use it every day. I do more with it than the contact list. I have a mileage program that keeps track of my bus., personal miles. I have qxpress and quickbooks on my computer and a module for the palm that sends info back and forth. Qxprress schedules jobs and with the palm, I keep track of what was done,cancelled,or postponed. At end of day, I hot sync and all info is put into program automatic. I absolutely love mine.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I know many of the major cell phone companies have these PDA or palm pilots with phones built into them. The up side to this is you won't look like batman with all these devices hanging off your belt.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-20-2003, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I work for T-Mobile (Business Sales) and use the Pocket PC with a phone intergrated. This works great for me on both my T-Mobile job and my Lawncare company. It has Microsoft software comes with Word and Excel. Go to www.pocketpc.com and you will find hundreds of programs available to use. Many deal with topics like mileage, accounting, contacts, finance and others.

You can open Excel and Word documents. You can make changes and send them out as email. You can also check web based emails from this unit.

Enough of advertising, I use this product everyday and love it. I have a phone and PDA in one devise. If you want to know more just send me an email and I will send you some information.

Good Luck!
Old 01-20-2003, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quickbooks?

Did I understand thay correctly? You can put data in your pocket pc version of quickbooks?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:05 AM
Millenium Member

I have a pocket PC but I still use my laptop for scheduling.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:20 PM

Ray,
What kind do you have? I am looking into getting one of these instead of the laptop. I would like to have one that you can go on the internet with so when I got on trips and whatelse, I can go on the internet with it? Are they easy to use? How long does the battery last?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2003, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Member

We have Symbol's version of a palm pilot loaded with a very simple software program that I wrote in about 3 nights. The symbol spt-1500 has a barcode scanner built into it. We use that to scan the barcode on the route sheet, then enter information. It makes it much easier to keep track of start and stop times, and the operator doesnt have to be a computer genious. Just has to press the scan button, and choose from 3 drop-down menus. I find the winter the best time to design things like this. Gives you plenty of time to learn how to program, instead of watching the Weather Channel all the time :-)
Old 05-30-2004, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a program kile qexpress that will integrate the pocket PC with QB??
Old 05-30-2004, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have used a palm before and it just slowed me down by 3-5 minutes per stop. That can add up to a lot of time during the day. I even tried it out with the crews last year and they were afraid of breaking something on it or messing up a program