Register free!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Can I apply fast-acting lime to a new lawn

I know spring isn't the best time to seed but I will overseed in the fall as well....but I had a good window to try this spring so I'm taking a chance. I used a power seeder and set the seeds down about 1/2", I did this 2 weekends ago. I have some areas with 1" tall grass and some are just starting to break the surface....been chilly here a few nights.

I used Lesco Transition Blend and applied starter fertilizer at the same time. I'm watering twice a day for 10 min each time but I know the soil needs lime. I didn't have a chance to get a soil test done so until then I have to chance it. I get a lot of leaves and did quite a bit of mulching this past fall.

I will get a soil test done after all the fertilizer works its way out but for now, would a fast acting lime be good or bad with fresh germination? I was thinking a light application then a soil test in a month.

What do you think? Just want to keep the fresh roots healthy.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A soil test is the first step.
Lime won't hurt grass--new or old. If you are convinced you need it--and not willing to wait 7 to 10 days for the results--fine.

However you should be able to find a garden store quality pH meter for around 15 dollars easily. You can also buy a soil test kit at most garden stores. And you can buy "pH papers" that react by turning color to determine soil acidity. pH of 6.5 to 7.5 is adequate. But lime is a bit slow to act--even the fast acting type.

Your main worry should really be about crabgrass and summer annual weeds--normally a big problem with a spring seeding. Perhaps you would be money ahead if you applied a starter fertilizer with crabgrass control (special type for seeding). It contains Tupersan (siduron). Be ready to use a post-emergent crabgrass control about the 4th of July if necessary. Call a pro with the proper spraying equipment, if needed.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking the starter fertilizer would skew the soil sample, but I guess that could be factored in. I will get one this week and go from there, didn't know about post-emergent crabgrass treatment so that's a plus.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the soil test first. Waiting a week won't hurt and make any real difference. Goodle DIY soil testers and decide if you want to waste whatever you're willing to pay for one. Save that money for materials or a real soil test from a reputable lab like A&L. How do you know the soil needs lime without a test? You have the cart before the horse.
Academia has a real problem getting funding if they do not do a good job of towing the gov't line... We have to believe what the gov't wants us to believe whether it makes any sense or not... No till is one of those issues which will do more to destroy good farm land than it will increase production - Smallaxe

On a side note, NO developer is your friend!!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I dropped off the soil this AM, I will post the results when I get them back.