Register free!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Zrator owners? Anyone own them?

I've never advertised for aeration jobs, and if I'm asked if I do aerating I take the person's ph # and line up a bunch of jobs over say a 2-day period and then rent a walk behind unit. Then I curse the idea repeatedly after I'm done with all of them because of the pounding that the unit dishes out. But I'm more and more tempted to actually advertise and pursue aeration jobs these days.

Anyways, I've seen sporadic questions about the ZRator (Z-Rator?) attachment on here before, and I've been mildly interested in the product but the list price was always a bit off-putting. Also, they pop up infrequently in the "for sale" section on this site, but they're never anywhere remotely close to me. Today while browsing the Craigslist site of a major city 2 hrs away from me, I stumbled across a used one for sale. Asking price is $680 and he entertained my offer of $600. He says its in "excellent working condition" and it also appears to be from the pics in the ad. Its the hand-crank version, not the electric raise/lower version.

None of the tines appear bent, but other than that are there any common wear spots on these units or anything else I should inquire about? He also stated that the units themselves are universal but I may or may not need to buy an additional bracket to make it work (he had it on a Toro ZTR, I'd be putting it on a 48" Toro Grandstand). Does that sound correct?

Also, and most importantly, if you do own one: What are the advantages/disadvantages? Is raising/lowering/turning/etc really as easy as it appears in the company's Youtube vids and on their site? I've already considered the issue of small gates that I won't fit thru, and my thinking is that (for now) I'll schedule all of those in one day and just do a one-day walk behind unit rental and only use the walk behind on the inaccessible areas.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I have three that we use. Two for stand ons and 1 for a my zero turn. I figure that it has doubled my productivity overall. Bought my first one three years ago. Beats the heck out of walking a aerator all over the property. Pulls a good plug and is very fast. Highly recommend.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This should be an interesting thread for myself. I have also been tempted by the zrator vs renting walk behinds every year but the price is detouring to bite. I look forward to see where this goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2014, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've spent over $1000 renting this year. so I am sure you guys can make these pay for themselves quick. My problem is gates. I'm limited to walk behind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2014, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive thought about getting one, but too pricey for me, I already have a bluebird. 600 for a nice one with good spoons sounds OK.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtired View Post
I have three that we use. Two for stand ons and 1 for a my zero turn. I figure that it has doubled my productivity overall. Bought my first one three years ago. Beats the heck out of walking a aerator all over the property. Pulls a good plug and is very fast. Highly recommend.
Are your three units identical as far as how they mount and such? I asked the guy if it'll fit my Grandstand and he just replied "oh yeah it'll work". I'd hate to drive four hours round-trip to find out otherwise though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2014, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkbilly View Post
Are your three units identical as far as how they mount and such? I asked the guy if it'll fit my Grandstand and he just replied "oh yeah it'll work". I'd hate to drive four hours round-trip to find out otherwise though
Posted via Mobile Device
The website shows different brackets.

I forgot to mention, when I bought my Grandstand, I saw a lot of Grandstands with frames that had been welded, just something too think about. I don't know how much stress one of these units would put on the frame.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not much action on this thread. They must not be too popular?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I found a similarly nice deal on a JRCO Hooker aerator that is much closer to me and I'm going to look at it in a few days.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkbilly View Post
I found a similarly nice deal on a JRCO Hooker aerator that is much closer to me and I'm going to look at it in a few days.
I own one use quite often and love it pays for it self at least three times a year.