Register free!

Old 09-14-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

From day one I've removed the access plate & never re-installed it. I like being able to easily remove any turf that might have wrapped up due to localized grubb infestation. Having a clear view of sprinkler heads etc is helpful also. For example if a head is 2 feet out from a driveway I can simply back up tight to the slab then view progress towards sprinkler to raise then lower after clearing. Small yards so you have to be detail oriented.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I have heard the same thing abot the exmark from several different people...bad axle issues :-(
Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We had our Exmark inspected (Johnson Creek, WI). Same thing -- Ryan found the axle to be a weak point. I approached my local Exmark/Toro dealer about this. They said they only had one ZTR (mower) with a bad axle, and it was brand new???

I love my Exmark aerator, but if Ryan can come up with a better version, I would be interested.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah, not good..i would never buy one due to what I have heard from close friends in the business...AND, I need one...do about 250 core aerations a year
Old 06-08-2014, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ryan still makes great aerators. Not sure what their plans are regarding another stand-on aerator, but they really helped us out with our "tow behind" aerators. We still use their 48" (36' effective) hydraulic lift tow behind aerators. We had issues with our two tow behinds, but Ryan fixed us up quickly. (nice job)

Cool thing about the Ryan tow-behinds is we can "double" the number of original tines. Not the best regarding core aeration, but it's perfect regarding seeding/aeration.

This aerator was new in 1992. Double tines. Still works. Made in USA.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service 1st Lawn Care View Post
As a professional I think you know weather the aeration job you did is good as far as the numbers of holes. I seriously doubt any home owner would ever come out and say well doesn't look like your getting 6 plugs per square ft. Larry will complain about any ride-on aerator until Turfco comes out with one, then they will be the greatest thing since slice bread even if Turfco's cost $10,000.
Oh Larry!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I love my ride on. Easily $250 per hour. Wish I could run it everyday for 16 weeks a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
We had our Exmark inspected (Johnson Creek, WI). Same thing -- Ryan found the axle to be a weak point. I approached my local Exmark/Toro dealer about this. They said they only had one ZTR (mower) with a bad axle, and it was brand new???

I love my Exmark aerator, but if Ryan can come up with a better version, I would be interested.
That looks like a photo of an old Ryan Rideaire.. Had a short life and died from general dislike. I cannot imagine someone still has one.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

6565BR is the Kevlar Gates belt for the hydro's. O'reilly Auto parts Line # GAT & is $16. Keep an eye on its tension or risk the cooling fan below the pulley coming apart as the tensioner pulley nears.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was having belt problems with my Exmark until I took a look at the tensioner and idler pulleys. Turns out one was high and the other was low. Enough that the belt would rub on the side of the pulley. I readjusted them and have no problem since, knock on wood. I don't think the axles are weak, I believe the way the gear is welded to the axle is the problem. That is my opinion based on the weld breaking on my left axle. I took it to a friend of mine who is excellent at fabrication and welding and it will be welded on both sides of the gear. I would not be doing aerations if I did not have this machine. I did over 200,000 Sq. Ft. today and felt fine at the end of the day. Any other machine I would have been dead or with a pull behind would have taken me a lot longer. Never pulled the walk behind off the trailer.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.