Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Triple 10 no earlier than next May after transplanting and fall next year would be better.

Super thrive will push the roots. Use @ 3 oz per 100 gallons when planting and 1 oz per 50 gallons each month.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Arbs are not really able to be pushed.

I wouldn't get too worried about less than 6 hours of sunlight, either. They do just fine in the shade. Maybe not as thick, but they will grow.

I would also tend to disagree that topping an arb is going to kill it. Arbs are quite different than a pine or spruce. At least in MI they are, I've seen and topped quite a few arbs over the years without problems.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen huge hedgerows of Arbs topped significantly- I would not advocate doing so for aesthetic reasons, but it will not kill them.

10" Arbs? LOL... it's going to be while before they block streetlights.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Arbs are not really able to be pushed.

I wouldn't get too worried about less than 6 hours of sunlight, either. They do just fine in the shade. Maybe not as thick, but they will grow.

I would also tend to disagree that topping an arb is going to kill it. Arbs are quite different than a pine or spruce. At least in MI they are, I've seen and topped quite a few arbs over the years without problems.
Thats the best news I've heard all day Mark
I took pictures all day at different times and though the sun has changed angle this late in the season I could swear mid summer I have sun in this area from 12ish till about 4 PM then the house starts to shade the sun.

Without posting all the pics, today 1:15 till 3 PM they would get direct sunlight where I want to put them, 2 feet out from the window in the landscaping. The Rose of Sharons have done great here but we didn't plant those, they were there when we bought the house. They do good in the shade area and bloom all summer.

Here yu go

As you can see I got two sets of stakes, one up close to the house and one out in the grass where both tree's would go. Hard to see the stake to the right of the back Rose of sharon but its there.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-29-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Triple 10 no earlier than next May after transplanting and fall next year would be better.

Super thrive will push the roots. Use @ 3 oz per 100 gallons when planting and 1 oz per 50 gallons each month.
Thanks again Duekster
Let me make sure I understand you, triple 10 but not before next May?

By the way, set out some mums in the landscaping down by the oak tree's I had a thread about; pulled up all I mean ALL the landscaping paper under the oaks I could get my hands on.
And the ground under that dam landscaping paper was like a desert, dry as a bone.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Thanks again Duekster
Let me make sure I understand you, triple 10 but not before next May?

By the way, set out some mums in the landscaping down by the oak tree's I had a thread about; pulled up all I mean ALL the landscaping paper under the oaks I could get my hands on.
And the ground under that dam landscaping paper was like a desert, dry as a bone.
No active biologicals either I suspect.

Most of the time no fert on new transpalnts for a year. Do not forget the superthrive....
Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
No active biologicals either I suspect.

Most of the time no fert on new transpalnts for a year. Do not forget the superthrive....

Will do.

And NO, no active biologicals.

Then God created Women
Old 09-30-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I got them out today guys

Now, why aren't they growing yet?

Then God created Women
Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you just buy bigger ones?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
Why don't you just buy bigger ones?
They had them, I should have

But it was a difference between spending $14 for both of these or $80 for both of the bigger ones

Then God created Women