Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is way to close to the house for a pyramidal Emerald Green... they can be pruned back to have no branches and still live,,, but by the time they shade the window the trunk will be on the siding... 5' diameter minimum which means 2.5' minimum from the house... the cylindricals can be planted closer but won't have much more shade than a telephone pole...

formal privacy hedges in the midwest are formed from Technys(a pyramidal) as they are the fastest growing arbor vitae and are pruned all the time, into a number of different shapes... AVs will thrive with lots of water and shade is their natural habitat... in fact back in the old days, the plants had to be protected from excessive sun to survive, though a lot of that problem was remediated with plenty of water...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On this one, I have to agree with Small A.

Way too close to the house.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That is way to close to the house for a pyramidal Emerald Green... they can be pruned back to have no branches and still live,,, but by the time they shade the window the trunk will be on the siding... 5' diameter minimum which means 2.5' minimum from the house... the cylindricals can be planted closer but won't have much more shade than a telephone pole...

formal privacy hedges in the midwest are formed from Technys(a pyramidal) as they are the fastest growing arbor vitae and are pruned all the time, into a number of different shapes... AVs will thrive with lots of water and shade is their natural habitat... in fact back in the old days, the plants had to be protected from excessive sun to survive, though a lot of that problem was remediated with plenty of water...
I highlighted what I liked smallaxe; that is VERY good news.

Now keep in mind here, this is probably temporary and when she is 6 foot under with her toes pointing straight up I'll probably remove them when the light goes out

Anyhow, I've had these before on the other side of the property, I'd give anything to have them on this side now but we removed them due to they were never took care of prior to us owning the propert and they eventually got bag bugs and got removed.

I hope these I just set out don't get no wider then the ones we had if so they will be fine where they are at.

Attached a pic or two
Attached Images

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women