Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my intention when starting this wasn't to start a debate about which is better. I know about the tax benefits as well as many more reasons to buy new that are justified. The point I was hoping to make was that if your a lawn guy maybe starting to get into heavier landscaping this may be another option that would work long enough to test the water of a new venture and perhaps even longer. I thought there would be others that have done well by using older trucks and could share those experiances. There are plenty of threads about the latest greatest truck and few about the older ones that may be helping to start a business or expand it to a point where a newer truck is a better option. Some of the older trucks definitly have issues, but at the same time there are a few brands that have proven reliable and inexpensive too maintain. If I was putting 40,000 miles a year on a dump then definitly I would look for a newer truck. Also, my trucks look good for an older vehicle definitly presentable. I have had more than one GC comment positively on the truck. You do bring up a good point on presentation and an old rust bucket isn't what I was thinking of when starting the thread.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of work trucks don't really get that many miles put on them, if all they're used for is local work. My 1985 that I sold 2 years ago had 87k on it. My 2003 that I bought new just hit 50K, but it's got over 3,000 hours on it. Change the fluids and don't beat on them and the drivetrain will usually outlast the body.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

a couple pics, I think they are presentable.
Attached Images

Root Grapple
Box Blade
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 09-28-2012, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Picked up this old Mazda B2600 for bidding and the quick hot shot runs. It has paid for itself with fuel savings over driving the 1 ton all the time. Even used it to tow a micro excavator once.
Attached Images

Root Grapple
Box Blade
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I definetly agree older trucks or whatever you can pay for cash is the way to go, i picked up my 96 f350 7.3 diesel 4x4 auto with a fisher mm 8' hd plow for 4000, when i bought it the plow wouldn't respond but a 138 dollar headlight harness from fisher fixed that issue and i've worked this truck harder then most new trucks get worked and it never fails me, as a matter of fact there have been many days where the truck has made me over 4000 in a single day, and countless weeks where it has made me over 6000 a week, and it has almost no rust or rot, its been a plow and sanding truck its whole life and 268,000 miles now, its cheap to rebuild the whole truck, fender do rot out on these trucks and mine are starting to, but 100 each for brand new ones ill just replace them and have them sprayed for a few hundred. New trucks are nicer and more comfortable, but i'd rather not be a servant to the bank, just to have a newer truck and pay more for insurance, my old truck is could use more power but i can still tow 10-12,000 lbs and do on a regular basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2012, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Plus if i get a scratch or dent from loading something in it i dont care vs. a truck that is 4yrs old i would care and probably spend the money getting it repaired, while i have no major dents or scratches except for my tailgate from loading thousands of lbs of wood into it, i can replace my bowed out tailgate for 150 dollars and thats finding a white one too to match my truck, my bed rails have dents in them but nothing major, its a work and it doea that, it makes me money day in and day out, doesn't quit ever!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

definitely something to be said for older trucks, if anything it's the peace of mind that you don't have to worry about messing them up, dent's dont matter nearly as much, scratches who cares? i drive an '11 silverado and you can damn near dent the thing leaning against it, my buddies old 75 chevy i doubt you could dent it with a sledgehammer. they just don't build things as tough as they used to when it comes to trucks...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed with the whole scratch and dent deal. My trucks get worked, and they don't stay pristine.

First work truck was an 87 F-350 C and C. Came with a plow. It amazed me how much money it made me in relation to how much I paid for it. It met it's end though when the 6.9 diesel spun a bearing and that was all she wrote.

Replacement truck is an 01 C3500HD C and C. Came not only with a 9 foot plow, but an under tailgate salt spreader and central hydraulics. Spent 8K for the total package. Still hasn't turned past 40k on the odometer. Not as cheap as an "old" truck, but sure beats spending 70k+ for a new similar setup.

My general ride is an 05 F-150. Though not considered old, I got it for 5k under book value and 140k on the odometer. Should get me by for about 5 years or better. Again it's one of those deals where I needed a better truck but wasn't going to drop 30k on a new truck just to beat the snot out of it.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You "old truck guys" ought to be telling these "new truck guys" how great it is that they're buying new. You should be thanking them as a matter of fact. Then, just sit back, wait a few years, and get yourself a nice used truck for a fraction of the price....

Q
Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I like to buy a new truck for myself every 10 years or so but most everything I have owned has been used and older. It all depends on what your needs are.

I wouldn't advise spending any money you dont have to at any time. The tax issue is a non issue when it comes to new or used, its how much you spend not what you spend it on.

Here are some trucks I own now or at least in the past 5 years:

Name:  mack.JPG
Views: 875
Size:  72.0 KB
2006 bought new
Name:  o6 ford.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  58.1 KB
Name:  DSCN0234 (Medium).jpg
Views: 866
Size:  62.9 KB
Name:  97 chevy (Medium).jpg
Views: 868
Size:  57.5 KB
Name:  2001 4 (Medium).jpg
Views: 867
Size:  55.4 KB
Name:  92 chevy (Medium).jpg
Views: 870
Size:  51.3 KB

Last edited by jmacd; 09-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.