Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best single axle utility trailer?

Hello gentlemen
Im looking for a utility trailer- new or used. I have heard that they can have a good deal of problems if bought used (like trucks). I am wondering what you all would reccomend? a friend reccomended holmes brand trailers.
I dont think i need a dual axle trailer. I dont plan for doing much stone work or sod work, but if i can afford the dual axle ill consider it.

anyhow i would like it to be roughly 6X10 up to 7X14

also i am wondering- if i were to go with an enclosed trailer- do you all leave your tools in there overnight?

i appreciate any suggestions.
thank you very much
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was at Lowes the other day. They have trailers. I stopped to see the price and how big a 7x12 is because I was thinking on getting a 7x14 in the spring.

They cost $1,799 and were very poor quality. Tractor Supply has trailers in that same price range though I have not seen on in person so I can't say about the quality.

As to dual axle the problems people post about is that the tires wear out faster.

Yes a dual axle trailer with two 3,500 lb axles will be rated to about 7,000 lbs.
Yes I know they have higher rated axles available.

Thing is a 7x12 single axle trailer may be your best bet. Lighter trailer saves fuel, single axle tires last longer. Then if you can keep your truck weight and trailer rating to stay 10,000 lbs or less you won't have to have a DOT number, drive pass the truck safety checks miss out on getting fines.

If your truck weighs 5,500 lbs you can get a trailer that weights 1,000lb and rated to carry 3,500 lb you get a combined gross loaded weight rated up to 4,500 lbs and be Dot free. Of course these numbers are used as an example. You will have to shop and research to make sure the numbers work out for you.

Many LCO's I see can get buy with a single axle trailer rated for 3,500lb.

The thing is to remember the difference between need and want. This will always keep you from spending more money then you have to. I see too many crew cab dual rw 3/4 & 1 ton diesel pickups that never leave the pavement or carry anything but their wives shopping bags from the mall.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Where are you located? There are a lot of regional trailer manufacturers. Up here H&H and DCT are two of the bigger builders of that style trailer. I have a 6x10 with a 3500# axle and it works great for us.

What are you doing with the trailer? We haul a stand-on and push mower on ours, may be much different from yur needs.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Forgot to talk about open or closed.

Open easier to load/unload, open sides easier to grab things faster from any side.

Hauling debris, mulch, top soil better with an open trailer.

Weighs less save fuel, doesn't block your mirrors easier to see behind you.

Closed gives security of locking up your trailer but people can break into a shop, your home garage, or trailer if they want to bad enough.

Equipment stored out of the weather when you don't have garage space.

Some want a closed trailer to have a 5 gallon pail/porta potty.

Thing I like about having a an open trailer there is no excuse to not clean the mowers at the end of the day because the open trailer has to be unloaded and the equipment put into the garage.

There are the lucky ones that have a garage large enough to park their loaded open trailer in their garage.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I run a 6.5 x 12 single axle with a 2990 rating, no brakes. It's a good size for the equipment I have and I like that I can wheel it around by hand with no problem. I had it custom built by a local trailer dealer out of all channel steel. The only piece of angle iron it is at the end of the gate. One thing to keep in mind is that dual axle trailers tend to go through tires a lot faster than the single ones, especially the rear set.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a forrest river single axle 6.5x12 open trailer with a drop gate, stake pockets and 12" sides for $1200, brand new from a local dealer.

It is angle iron, however i have found that it is extremely tough, you would have to TRY to break it in order to have any problems with it.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

nothing against Lowe's or TSC but they their place for things, and trailers aren't one of them.... that is unless of course your the type that buys your "professional commercial grade" outdoor power equipment from there also.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I live in CT and Lowes got a new trailer wheich I snatched up since I needed a new one. This has a tublar frame and the price was around $1100 and hold like 3500 pounds since it has large heavy duty tires. I added the grass trimmer racks and added cedar floor board to save on weight.

You can't see it but it has the trailer jack near the neck. All the lights work and lights up like a xmas tree at night. It also has lights on the bottom of the gate! This is an odd size though 6x9 I think.
Attached Images

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 09-28-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

personally I'd go with a local fabricator. We have a Leonard 6.5x14 tandem, Kaufman 6.5x16 tandem, and local built 5x12 and tandem lo-boy equipment trailer. The prices and quality of the local built stuff are above excellent, plus all of the money stays local too.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for all the advice gentlemen.
i will use the trailer to haul debris, like garden and tree debris. also to haul a mower possibly. but mostly it will be used to transport landscaping materials to the job and plant and tree debris away. Sounds like you all agree that a dual axle trailer will wear tires faster.
i am looking for some good brand names. 6X10 - 7X14 would be ideal i think

thank you very much