Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
I focus on professional folks...not older folks..just a difference on where too focus
Posted via Mobile Device
Where I am it mostly the older ones who need thier work done for them. I have some in higher end neighbor hoods, but its far and few in between.
if I lived in an area such as the twin cities metro area I wouldn't even think about have them as customers. In a pop of 25,000 its a limited market.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We still have a higher than average senior population here. That being said we do not cater to their idiosyncrasies. We will not guarantee a certain day or time. Weather, workload and common sense dictate our schedule. As for abusive backtalk, hell no, take your problems out on somebody else.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Email doesn't fly with most older people. I get text on occasions.

Here's an example.... Wtfay? Mgisl. Untbhasap. Anyone want to decode that?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's simple: Where the f___ are you? My grass is super long. You need to be honest ASAP. Sounds like you said you'd be there and didn't show and it's a recurring problem for you.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, in that context it would be you need to be HERE ASAP, not honest....they want their grass cut........
Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

here's an update. i never got around sending a letter like i was going to. i stopped a few weeks back tp clean up the leaves to find somone had cleaned parts of the yard. i walked around pissed off. picked up a stick and said i had enough and left. i always felt sick to my stomach when i went there. so today i sent her final bill and a cancelation letter. First one i have ever sent.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is very true of older customers. Sometimes they can be hard to deal with. I was asked last month to put down fertilizer for a customer, and took care of it in a timely manner. This couple has also had their lawn sprayed professionally in the spring to treat for weeds. Well, last time I went to mow, he asked me where I bought the fertilizer because there were weeds in his lawn and he felt like the weed seeds were mixed in with the fertilizer. Well, you can imagine how the rest of the conversation went, but i had to reassure him that it wasnt the fertilizer that brought the weeds in.

No amount of talking will change their mind. They are set in their ways. Additinally, its true that they dont get out much, and we are their entertainment, or people to talk too. I have to plan when I mow this partilcular yard, because its guaranteeed that I will be talking to this cpl after mowing for at least 15-20 minutes. Thats time I could be spent mowing. These are just a few examples of unforseen problems that can come up..LOL. But, its all part of the customer service. They arent just paying me to cut their lawn (in the case of this couple). They look forward to me showing up, so they can tell me im mowing too fast, or missing spots, or not cutting it short enough.

He blames me because I havent been there in a week, and the grass is taller around the concrete then the rest of his yard that is burnt up in the middle of summer, even though I have suggested that he let me leave the lawn a bit taller in the heat of summer...LOL..its never ending.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not putting up bs like that. I have plenty of good customer that are older. This one was the worst person I have ever delt with. It easier dealing with HOA and property managers. A lot of my elder customer even give me tips and stuff to drink and so forth. Funny part I for got to mention was I put a freedom stamp on the envelope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So what do you put in a letter like that? Do you tell them that you are through because they are a PITA or do you use an alternate reason for dropping them? Or do you just not even bother to explain?

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure what's correct or not. I just put that we are not a good match as customer/company. I also stated with past encounters with her I would not recommend another company for her to contact. Wished her good luck. That was about it. I could have written her a book on all the bs and anxiety she caused me. Not to mention lost money and time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let us know how she responds if she does. Curious to hear how she handles it. Probaly feels like a big load was taken off your sholders, I don't blame you congrats.