Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I showed up at an account today and part of the lawn had been blown, a wheel blower was off to the side of their parking area and a backpack blower was on the patio. Nobody was home. I call my customer at work (I try to avoid that) and told him I came to service the lawn and that I saw the blowers out and was wondering if he was planning to do it himself or did he wanted me to service it. He said he wanted me to, so I did. No reason for a hissy fit. I have a few customers that will do part of their cleanups, especially right around the house, with their little electric blowers...no biggie. It's been 2 weeks since Hurricane Sandy and I'm now done with the lawns that were disasters and back to my normal cleanups which aren't all that normal either due to all the twigs...almost have to blow every square inch rather than picking up some areas with just the mower.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Let us know how she responds if she does. Curious to hear how she handles it. Probaly feels like a big load was taken off your sholders, I don't blame you congrats.
I sure will. Should hear this week. Very relieved
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I showed up at an account today and part of the lawn had been blown, a wheel blower was off to the side of their parking area and a backpack blower was on the patio. Nobody was home. I call my customer at work (I try to avoid that) and told him I came to service the lawn and that I saw the blowers out and was wondering if he was planning to do it himself or did he wanted me to service it. He said he wanted me to, so I did. No reason for a hissy fit. I have a few customers that will do part of their cleanups, especially right around the house, with their little electric blowers...no biggie. It's been 2 weeks since Hurricane Sandy and I'm now done with the lawns that were disasters and back to my normal cleanups which aren't all that normal either due to all the twigs...almost have to blow every square inch rather than picking up some areas with just the mower.
Each incident is different. And the case in mine there's plenty of other crap that piled up from spring time. I just don't want to deal with it any more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
This is how I would of handled it. First assumed they were doing some on their own. Not jump to conclusions and fire the customer.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
This is how I would of handled it. First assumed they were doing some on their own. Not jump to conclusions and fire the customer.

Did you read the entire thread? I think not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

The way I understand it, this was a long running PITA. This was just the last straw. Been there, done that, found myself happier, moved on to greener pastures. People like that are for beginners. It teaches you what to look for in a customer. We should be picking and choosing our customers. Not the other way around. Over a period of time, if we learn from the past, we are able to pick and choose because we no longer have to accept the PITA to stay in business. Of course, I am very happy being solo with a part time helper.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have read the entire thread and it seems to me that she was frustrated with you not doing what you said your were going to do and then giving her excuses. It almost sounds like you used this "incident" to get out from under a customer who expects you to keep a schedule and do what you said you would do. Just the way it looks from here from what you've posted about the situation. In any case, what's done is done and you're probably both better off.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I have read the entire thread and it seems to me that she was frustrated with you not doing what you said your were going to do and then giving her excuses. It almost sounds like you used this "incident" to get out from under a customer who expects you to keep a schedule and do what you said you would do. Just the way it looks from here from what you've posted about the situation. In any case, what's done is done and you're probably both better off.
So being a couple hours late due to a broken truck is off schedule? It's not. I got that work done and then some in plenty of time. There were many other thing through the year that had nothing to do with scheduling or agreed work. Like when I reseeded her front lawn, then had someone spread weed and feed killing it? Or had my spray guy lined up at the same time? Had someone try to clean up the perenials in the summer? Way ahead of time. I know there's plenty of other crap. If you want to eat crap from people, be my guest.

And yes, I've had customers start this or that which is no big deal. But when they have someone else doing it and not well, I don't want any part of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh, and after I signed her for service I found out the other guy didn't finish last season either. Quit in mid winter. So I'm not the only who canned her.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I stop sevicing all of my lawn accounts by mid winter!!!