Register free!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Seed ???

I want to get my seed for overdseeding curently using tall fescue with KGB, been looking online should I use KBG or I have been reading about this Titan with rhyzomes any input on which to use and is there a online place that has good prices on these I am overseeding 25000 sq ft.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not from your area of course. Local advice is best. Most experts recommend 10 to 20 percent Kentucky bluegrass to give the final turf better self-healing properties. But it is a bit of a guess as to how much of the KBG Will actually germinate and take hold in an overseed situation. There are several types of "Lateral speading" tall fescue seeds, but others on this site have not seen much in the way of spreading.
Firecrackeer and Spyder LS are also claimed to spread.
http://aroundtheyard.com/northern/la...ues-t5079.html

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...jNbyHuu2cQfb6g
Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe i will try the KBG, are there any places online that will have better prices than local sellers here in Va. I found 50# today KBG for 100.00. Thanks for input and anyone else that has help or input.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't use pure KBG in virginia unles you are willing to spend the big bucks and buy the new hybrid blend. This area is way to hot for regular KBG. You are much better off with a tall fescue/KBG blend. You already have a thread about which seed to use.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=388013

I posted on the 20th 7 days ago. I aerated my lawn and used the 90% tall fescue and 10% hybrid thermal blue. I looked today and every hole has grass coming up in only 7 days. I was expecting at least 2 weeks before I seen any germination. I think the blend I used would be your best option. $84 a 50# bag.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I sowed about 200# of the fescue w/ 10% Heat tolerant Bluegrass 2 Years ago on the 25000 sq ft, do you think that was enough bluegrass for now since it supposedly spreads. I am wandering do I just overseed now with a Fescue Blend until more Bluegrass fills in, just got a price on Fescue Blend 50# with Hudson, Titan Ultra and one other type for $55. Would this be a better choice for me.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker45 View Post
I sowed about 200# of the fescue w/ 10% Heat tolerant Bluegrass 2 Years ago on the 25000 sq ft, do you think that was enough bluegrass for now since it supposedly spreads. I am wandering do I just overseed now with a Fescue Blend until more Bluegrass fills in, just got a price on Fescue Blend 50# with Hudson, Titan Ultra and one other type for $55. Would this be a better choice for me.
I would keep overseeding with the 90TTTF/10HBG blend. Both TTTFand Thermal Blue are fast germinators. With TTTF, you have to overseed once, if not twice a year. Otherwise it will bunch and get thick/lateral leaves over the bare spots. BTW, I find most of the lateral spread with HKBG takes place in the spring, so you should get it established now. The contribution of HKBG is pretty modest, so if you can't find it at a good price, you will get very good results just with a TTTF blend.