Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way to remove 'weeds' from lawn

Hello
i am totally new to this and appreciate any knowledge and advice you will share.
my client has a lawn that has some weeds growing in with the grass, like violets, creeping charlie, etc... i know i could get in there manually pull them up, could i rake them? also, i could use an herbicide, but how do i apply that without killing the grass theyred mixed in with?

thanks!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Prepare yourself to be grilled. If you're posting a question like that it is clear you do not have a license. Members on this forum do not appreciate people spraying without a license. You need to contact a local company and sub out. By the way selective herbicides do not kill desired Turf if used appropriately
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best way to remove 'weeds' from lawn

Yeah find a good sub. And charge appropriately. If you get caught spraying anything like that commercially (for money/ on property that is not yours) you could be subject to big fines.

Without seeing the lawn I have no idea exactly what to suggest... Most of my lawns I only have to spot spray... Give your local John Deere landscape supply a call and they will try to find something that might work for you.

PM For DETAILS!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks, herbicide is the last way i want to go. if i hand pull what i can and plant nice grass there woudlnt it out compete the weeds?
thanks
Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hand pulling is somewhat effective on violets as most herbicides do not work well. Be prepared to see long underground roots and rhizomes--and be prepared to remove same--or violets will resprout. My organic customers got 10 minutes of hand weeding with each fertilizer treatment. Creeping charlie is also tough--but long runners are above ground. Try various knives, hand saws and weed spuds.

Dense grass is a help in fighting weeds. If you don't go with sod, look for a bluegrass seed that claims in its literature to be dense and weed resistant. The athletic types are a good start. Blackberry for instance.
http://www.turfmerchants.com/kentuck...blackberry.php

Bluegrass is not competitive in a shady situation, you need full sun if you want it thick.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Riggleplc
actully the area where weeds are most dominant is shady. i think ill reccomend a bed of flowers there
Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind that you will need varieties that are adapted to shade like New Guinea Impatiens, Coleus (not really a flower) ect
Steve