Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't worry a lot about it. She will call in a couple weeks when the lawn grows after all. All customers do this, you have a couple really cool nights, grass slows down, and they get all excited that mowing is over when it never is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Easy lift guy,

I have been doing this for over 10 years and I am not about to start using a service agreement. In my area people would look at me like I am crazy if they had to do something like that just to mow there yard. It doesn't make you more of a professional than others to have one either. All I was doing is asking others if they have had a similar issue. You just have to realize that around here things are a lot different than where you live, where you can probably show up to peoples property and work year around.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer that puts up all those blow up things for holidays. The first year he said "I guess we're done cutting for the year" and I was like, the grass is still growing. It turns out that after he swaps Halloween stuff for Christmas, I come in a cut again. Everyone is different. Heck, the first cut I ever did, after I was done, he said I'll see you in two weeks! I told him I'll be hear next week again that I can't extend the interval two weeks. He agreed and I've had them since.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post
Easy lift guy,

I have been doing this for over 10 years and I am not about to start using a service agreement. In my area people would look at me like I am crazy if they had to do something like that just to mow there yard. It doesn't make you more of a professional than others to have one either. All I was doing is asking others if they have had a similar issue. You just have to realize that around here things are a lot different than where you live, where you can probably show up to peoples property and work year around.
Ditto around here. I have close to 60 accounts, and if I approached all of them about signing a service agreement, I might get 4 or 5 to do so.

We are currently having central air installed in our house by a local company. It is close to an $8,000 job, and they never asked me to sign anything, or give them any kind of a deposit. That is just the way a lot of business is done in this part of the country.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post
Easy lift guy,

Your choice, your business. So many more things that customers require to be done here, I guess?. For anyone else offering more than just mowing lawns a year round service agreement is very practical to further ones business, weather it be tree work after winter storms to snow plowing and firewood sales. Diversification of ones services is One of many keys for future growth and success. At least it has and continues to be for myself.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Your choice, your business. So many more things that customers require to be done here, I guess?. For anyone else offering more than just mowing lawns a year round service agreement is very practical to further ones business, weather it be tree work after winter storms to snow plowing and firewood sales. Diversification of ones services is One of many keys for future growth and success. At least it has and continues to be for myself.
easy-lift guy
What does a service agreement for firewood look like? Also after a winter storm people don't want their legal team to look over a service agreement, they just want the storm damage gone. This is a subject you have to play by ear IMHO, I have customers where there is nothing other than a verbal agreement and others there is a lengthy contract. It depends on what both parties are willing to agree upon. Around here any residential customer would drop you the minute they heard "binding contract."
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OP if you are that ticked at this lady just drop her for next year. If you are like most LCO's on here, you don't NEED any particular customer's business to survive. There are other customers out there.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-30-2012, 04:55 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
What does a service agreement for firewood look like? Also after a winter storm people don't want their legal team to look over a service agreement, they just want the storm damage gone. This is a subject you have to play by ear IMHO, I have customers where there is nothing other than a verbal agreement and others there is a lengthy contract. It depends on what both parties are willing to agree upon. Around here any residential customer would drop you the minute they heard "binding contract."
A service agreement for the entire year could encompass many different services and goods such as fire wood. The agreement can be customized to meet the customers needs. I am not sure why a customer would need a "legal team" to have to look over a service agreement?. My service agreement states that in the event of storm damage clean up and removal of debrie will begin as soon as conditions permit for work to safely commence. This work is provide at an additional charge to the customer. Nothing to play by ear, since the customer understands what he or she is expected to receive based on the service agreement in the first place. Very cut and dry. If you choose to have your customers work with you on a verbal agreement basis and you happy with the results, I would say continue on your way. I stopped dealing with verbals service agreements many years ago since my time is far to valuable trying to debate what was said and what was remembered between Two
parties. The need to maintain control and order over your customer base is
very important, how one chooses to make that happen is really up to you.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am facing the same type of situations here in Charlotte. The over night lows have definitely slowed down growth some and some lawns can be cut bi-weekly since there's not much growth in a weeks time due to the cooler lows but its definitely still growing and needs to be cut before next spring. Also a lot of people are ending service since they have aerated and seeded.

This is what I was afraid of since it got "cooler" and everyone thinks that if its cooler outside and growth slows down that it doesn't need to be cut at all until next spring.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
A service agreement for the entire year could encompass many different services and goods such as fire wood. The agreement can be customized to meet the customers needs. I am not sure why a customer would need a "legal team" to have to look over a service agreement?. My service agreement states that in the event of storm damage clean up and removal of debrie will begin as soon as conditions permit for work to safely commence. This work is provide at an additional charge to the customer. Nothing to play by ear, since the customer understands what he or she is expected to receive based on the service agreement in the first place. Very cut and dry. If you choose to have your customers work with you on a verbal agreement basis and you happy with the results, I would say continue on your way. I stopped dealing with verbals service agreements many years ago since my time is far to valuable trying to debate what was said and what was remembered between Two
parties. The need to maintain control and order over your customer base is
very important, how one chooses to make that happen is really up to you.
easy-lift guy
So if you have 10 service agreements to clean up storm damage which customer comes first? NOTHING is cut and dry there are always grey areas even with written agreements. I also agree that you work for the customer not vice versa. Do you have a service agreement to purchase goods at the store? So would you refuse to sell a person a load of firewood if they didn't sign an agreement with you? Firewood is a HUGE business up here, and I can name 0 companies up here who have a written agreement between vendor and consumer.