Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Small "Gardening" Rig

We are a small company, just myself and one employee. I took over the business from my brother, who had ~30 mowing accounts spread all throughout the city. Over the last two years, I have dropped my service area down to just a few neighborhoods. We currently have ~25 accounts, with 5-6 of those occupying 80% of our time. By the end of the month, we will have dropped all mow,mulch,leaf-only accounts and be down to around a dozen clients. Most of the homes we work in are right around 100 years old, with the oldest being 140 years old and the youngest around 50 years old. These are very small formal urban gardens, reminiscent of the urban garden cities of the South (think Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans). We only mow one day a week, pulling a small 12' enclosed with a 36" Viking and 30" Exmark. Here is what we are working out of the other 4-5 days a week.

When I first bought the truck last fall:

As it looks today:

Green Touch Racks. I can't stand having anything but materials on the truck bed. Wanting an Xtreme Blower Rack but can't figure out where to put it without inhibiting use of the drop sides.

Excuse the trash, did some cleanup yesterday around the house. The rear gate drops to ~45*. There are stow away ramps under the body for loading equipment, but honestly we usually just use this to slide large B&Bs into wheelbarrows.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Reserved...
Old 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Reserved2...
Old 06-11-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Apparently Lawnsite only allows changes for ten minutes... sorry for the wasted space with the reserves.

Some shameless plugs of products I love.

These guys are on my waist every day. Am Leonard double sheath and soil knife(NOT the deluxe, unless you like cutting yourself constantly), and Felco 2s.

Okatsune 216 Shears. This are not the fastest way to shear bushes. Far from it, however the finished look is unbeatable, and no "burn" from gas shears. Box, Taxus, Barberry, and some Viburnum are clipped ONLY by hand. Yes, it's slower, and more expensive for the customer, but most of my customers prefer it anyway.

After my knife and bypass pruners, these are three of my four most used tools, the last being my backpack blower. Poly scoop shovel, all steel spade, and all steel caprock shovel. The Corona spade is indestructible. We have pried with both of us hanging on the end and it didn't flex a bit. Impressed with the build, I went back and got a Corona all steel caprock. The shovel head is soft as butter. You can't pry a thing with it. We still find ourselves using it nonstop as a compliment to the spades though, as it can be easily sharpened and makes a great cutting tool with the weight of all the steel.

The Duluth Trading Cab Commander. This thing keeps my life organized. Have one behind both seats, and they hold everything you could ever need on a jobsite. Sockets, screwdrivers, hammers, extra trimmer spools(already wound), wilt-pruf, round-up concentrate....EVERYTHING
Old 06-11-2014, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those Boxwoods look awesome.........your setup is also awesome. About 80% of my work is "estate" type homes, although most are newer. Its a challenge for sure.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cool man, I like it. You and I are somewhat in the same boat. Long story short, I work for company that does very high-end design/construction. However, I run the landscape maintenance after the projects are finished, if the clients decide to use our services. I'd say 80%-90% of my pruning is by hand, and I love it. Sometimes it sure gets tedious, but I hate using the gas shears. I've got 3 pair of Felcos but I bought a pair of Okatsune pruners for myself. I absolutely love them. I might look into their shears as well. Our setups are different, but I'm glad somebody else on the forum does close to what I do as well.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-11-2014, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can you mount the blower on the ramp like the jug rack?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Those Boxwoods look awesome.........your setup is also awesome. About 80% of my work is "estate" type homes, although most are newer. Its a challenge for sure.
Thanks Larry. Appreciate the kind words. The property behind my truck is actually not mine- we maintain the property to the right, the stone house. I seem to derive a lot more personal satisfaction working on high-end "estates." It seems to turn work into fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Cool man, I like it. You and I are somewhat in the same boat. Long story short, I work for company that does very high-end design/construction. However, I run the landscape maintenance after the projects are finished, if the clients decide to use our services. I'd say 80%-90% of my pruning is by hand, and I love it. Sometimes it sure gets tedious, but I hate using the gas shears. I've got 3 pair of Felcos but I bought a pair of Okatsune pruners for myself. I absolutely love them. I might look into their shears as well. Our setups are different, but I'm glad somebody else on the forum does close to what I do as well.
We are indeed in the same boat. I used to work for a high-end landscape architect, and was brought in specifically for my trim/prune knowledge. I'm sure you know very much what you are doing, but I like to reread the American Horticultural Society's Guide to Pruning and Training every once in a while to remind me not what I am doing, but why. If you have never read it I highly recommend it. You would also probably enjoy niwaki.com. Very high end, almost impractically over designed tools. Okatsune is their low end...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coultman859 View Post

We are indeed in the same boat. I used to work for a high-end landscape architect, and was brought in specifically for my trim/prune knowledge. I'm sure you know very much what you are doing, but I like to reread the American Horticultural Society's Guide to Pruning and Training every once in a while to remind me not what I am doing, but why. If you have never read it I highly recommend it. You would also probably enjoy niwaki.com. Very high end, almost impractically over designed tools. Okatsune is their low end...
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info...I haven't done any reading or schooling on pruning, just experience and common sense of what appears to be healthy for the plant. I will definitely check that guide out, I'm always looking to improve.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

How much did it cost you to put that type of bed on your truck? I've got a normal bed on mine, but been talking with my buddy about how i wish I had something like you had. Keep things more organized and less clutter on the floor.