Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Gave the Grass Stitcher a try....

I live in NE Ohio and obviously got some bare spots in my lawn from the drought this summer. I bought a grass stitcher to try and repair various spots.

I used a 50/50 KBG/RYE in my full sun areas. I did several areas with the Grass Stitcher and an area with a topsoil/seed mix. Tomorrow will be 14 days and the topsoil/seed area is filled in and I have VERY little germination where I used the Grass Stitcher. Both have been watered 2X's daily for about 20 minutes each.

How much longer should I wait before reseeding the grass stitcher areas?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much topsoil? How did you mix the soil with the seed? How were you able to spread to topsoil-seed mix? Did you treat thoroughly with the sticher? 5 mins? 10 mins? Was the soil too dry to penetrate? Seed applied before or after sticher was used?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I throw top soil in a wheel barrow and add a few cups of seed and mix thoroughly, then use that to patch bare spots....been doing this for years and works great. Lightly rake, put down mixture....water.

I used the stitcher for quite a bit...tried to roll each area multiple times, then applied seed. I did just like the video instructions.

I did an are in the front that was drier....then an area in the back that was after a light rain. Neither show great results after 11-13 days.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like to use the Garden Weasel for bare spots,,, especially on moist soil as I've had when used... but its not about the tool, its about the bed that's created and how the ground accepts your 2X/day irrigation...
Old 09-30-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had pretty good luck with my Grass Stitcher (GS)...not sure what the problem could be honestly. Usually it looks a little funny at first, kind of like what you get when overseeding after aerating, but on a smaller scale. Did you get decent penetration with the GS to the point that you could see the holes? You really need to keep it close your body and apply pressure with either your foot or body and work it back and forth. If you're just rolling it over the surface it's not gonna do much.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have one, but used wesasels for years.........i like the weasel better for hard soil
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For hard soil i prefer a potato fork myself...call me old fashioned, lol. I use them for a lot of things.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of my little areas that were worked seeded and covered with a handful of compost are all greened up now and looking good... by next Summer we won't be able to see where the patchwork was...