Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag will not go into PTO/burnt connector

I have an older model 48 Scag walk behind pull start that will not engage in PTO. I didnít have any issues after my last cut a couple of days ago. I recently placed a new belt on the PTO clutch & made some adjustment to the belts as well.

When I tried to start the mower I noticed that the 6 prong connector that plugs into the PTO switch the blue wire was melted & it actually melted that prong as well. I tried to wire from the butt connector directly to that prong but nothing happened. I ordered a new PTO switch thinking it was burnt out= no success. I traced the wired which seem all intact & it still will not start. I noticed that when it is running & I engage the PTO switch, let go the handles it will shut off as normal but starts back once I grip the levers again.

Iím guessing the PTO clutch is bad now?? Is there a way to check it? Any ideas why the prong overheated so bad?

Any suggestion would be appreciated? Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I check my clutch by connecting a battery boster to it direct. You can hear if it clicks. I put a inline fuse so when the clutches fail it doesn't take out other things.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I check my clutch by connecting a battery boster to it direct. You can hear if it clicks. I put a inline fuse so when the clutches fail it doesn't take out other things.
That may not be 100% true. I had one a few months back that worked just fine off the machine but blow fuses when mounted on the machine. The clutch had a "short to casing". When on the work bench it worked just fine as nothing was touching the clutch. But when on the shaft it grounded out with the shaft because of the short to the casing. Remove the clutch wires. Hook (+) power just to ONE wire and leave the other wire hanging. Then try that with the other wire. If the clutch works or draws power with just one wire hooked it then it has a short to casing and must be replaced. If you try to us it like that it will damage the engine beyond use in little time at all.
I seen it happen.

Sometimes I think maybe I have seen too much and it is time to quit.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto...Fixer...the plastic coating on the windings gets hot and melts into the housing....shorting it out..
Another easy way to find a bad clutch winding...if you find the connections melted and the clutch still working....is to put an Amprobe over one of the clutch wires...if the clutch is drawing more than 1 1/2 amps...its on its way out.

Hang in there...No matter how much knowledge you acquire...it'll never be enough...they keep letting idiots design..sell..and operate these mowers..if you quit ..you'd just find another batch of problems...at least they are somewhat predictable now......
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
blades will not spin , burnt connector , pto switch