Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I guess it is just one of those things you have to see to believe because the numbers say there should be stragglers like carzy at that speed, but you are right that type of grass at least makes some what of a difference.
When the 72" deck passed over this grass it was cutting at full speed, do you see any stragglers or uncut grass, and you are getting a very close look?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No I don't, that looks good to me from what I can see (though no matter how good a pic a person takes, it isn't the same as being there to see in person).

However, I can gaurantee you that if you did that on the grass around where I am, you'd have a lot of stringers left behind at that speed, especially this year with the drought. It really made things tough to deal with for most of the summer. Now that we are into fall and have had a few rains, I can at least speed up to a decent level and still get the QOC I expect.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
No I don't, that looks good to me from what I can see (though no matter how good a pic a person takes, it isn't the same as being there to see in person).

However, I can gaurantee you that if you did that on the grass around where I am, you'd have a lot of stringers left behind at that speed, especially this year with the drought. It really made things tough to deal with for most of the summer. Now that we are into fall and have had a few rains, I can at least speed up to a decent level and still get the QOC I expect.
Take my word for it, if there was any grass or weeds left standing on anything I cut, I would not own the mower. You could lay down and look across the grass at eye level, which I have, and not have concerns about any grass or weeds left uncut.

I will show you another picture of wild grasses and Buckhorn Plantain cut with a Bad Boy lightning at full speed, of which they advertise to be 14 mph. Maybe you do not have this in Michigan, but Buckhorn Plantain and Dandelions are two of the toughest weeds you will ever cut while attempting to get all the stems in one pass. They have a wiry, tough stem, that is limp, meaning it will not stand well with air turbulence from a tunnel design deck, making it very difficult to cut in one pass. The XR-7 deck when cutting at 3" or below does a very good job, as does the VX4 deck on my new Super Z. This is pretty impressive to see what the Lightning did at full stick, and no, this is not manicured grass, yet something I consider much harder to cut cleanly in one pass at fast mowing speeds.

The Exmark UltraCut deck is the best for cutting manicured, irrigated grass, the reason is because the UltraCut possesses more suction than any deck on the market today. You will need to scrape the UltraCut more often for the fact it processes the grass into smaller clippings than a tunnel deck; which is designed to take and process more grass at faster speeds while discharging it as larger clippings. The smaller clippings from the UltraCut will filter into standing grass and disappear much easier; while leaving a beautiful manicured look where grass clippings are not visible. A tunnel designed deck discharges larger clippings, making it much harder for them to filter in and disappear.

What mowers do you run?

The Badboy I used was a trial to compare it against a Super Z.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im with Ridin' on this one. The grasses in the pics are very thick bladed and stand up almost on thier own. I find that fine fescue is the hardest to stand up at speed especially when dry. Limp grasses are always the hardest to cut IMO not the grasses pictured here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I will add Im very impressed puppy can go full speed! The land in NH just isnt smooth. I only have a couple properties that I can go over 10 mph with short bursts of 13 mph.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 09-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Im with Ridin' on this one. The grasses in the pics are very thick bladed and stand up almost on thier own. I find that fine fescue is the hardest to stand up at speed especially when dry. Limp grasses are always the hardest to cut IMO not the grasses pictured here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fescue is impossible to cut at full speed, usually 3/4 stick is all I try for. I also agree about the ground conditions, we have very few properties where we can go full speed, and most of those are sports fields. If I can get 80% production out of my Z's on an average I'm happy with that, and so are my back and kidneys
Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Fescue is impossible to cut at full speed, usually 3/4 stick is all I try for. I also agree about the ground conditions, we have very few properties where we can go full speed, and most of those are sports fields. If I can get 80% production out of my Z's on an average I'm happy with that, and so are my back and kidneys
Much our southern variant, bahia. Extra bumpy when planted from sod and really hard on blades.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I will add Im very impressed puppy can go full speed! The land in NH just isnt smooth. I only have a couple properties that I can go over 10 mph with short bursts of 13 mph.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've been on many different makes and models of zero turn mowers and can see that most mowers will beat you to death, that is other than a Ferris 3100 or above, the smaller models ride reasonably well, but the added weight from the larger models help the ride tremendously. The larger AOS Bad Boy with the rubber compression suspension (also added weight from this mower helps), and the new longer wheel base Super Z with the added flex forks will all ride far superior to any of the other mowers on the market. The shorter wheel base Super Z I also own would beat you to death without the flex forks and suspension seat.

The properties you believe to be rough would feel totally different while operating one of the mowers mentioned above. The extra speed can also add to ride roughness, don't think for one minute my property has been graded and press rolled, because it is by no means of the imagination perfectly smooth. If you operated any mower other than the ones I mentioned, and could get them to a mowing speed of 13 mph, you would need to slow down on places I run full speed with no problem. Most zero turn mowers are bone jarring rough, and I've operated many of them, but I can tell you without reservation that my mowers (both of them because of add-ons), ride far superior to Scag, Exmark, Bobcat, Toro, Gravely, and any of the other short wheel base zero turn mowers that are not equipped with shock absorbing add-ons.

There is a difference of night and day in how zero turn mowers ride and handle, and I can tell you without doubt, the hydraulics on a Hustler Super Z makes it handle far superior, and I do mean far superior, to any other mower in its class. There are people that have cut problems in different areas of the country with Super Z mowers, but there is no one that will tell you they are not the best handling mower they've ever operated.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Puppy, I wasn't ignoring your questions above to me, I have been gone all day.

I run a Z950 with the 60" MOD deck. No suspension seat as they come, which is total BS IMO. The seat itself is nicely padded which helps, but if I get going too fast on rough ground, my eyes start rolling around in their sockets

Something you said earlier about the Exmark having the most suction- I'm not so sure that's true anymore really. Here's why I say that. If you take a close look at the underside of the MOD deck, the front baffle is shaped very closely to the newer ICD 's baffling,and wraps the blades much more than the front baffle under the std Pro deck does. Then, there's the adjustable baffles between the blades under the MOD. They actually form more of a complete circle around the blades in there forwards position (which is where the factory sets them before shipping) then the combined baffles do under the UC deck.

I recently fabbed some new adjustable baffles for mine so that I have even more baffling around my blades than the stock set-up. I did this for use with the MOD closed while using OEM mulching blades on leaves this fall. I can still side discharge at good speed, but now when the MOD is closed, it is a thing of beauty to see perform. It works just like a true mulch kit now, but still leaves me the option to side discharge if I choose.

If you go to this link and scroll down to the buttons, then click on them, one will bring up the MOD deck's underside, and a lever where you can shift it to close or open the MOD. You can see the factory adjustable baffles in place sticking out from the rear skirting between blades, and how much gap is left between the tip of the baffle, and the closed front baffle when the MOD is closed. It is just about exactly 2.75", and is designed to let clippings move between the blades (both Exmark, and Scag have something very similar in the design of their mulch kits, and this is what they claim too). My new baffles close that distance to about 3/4"- 7/8" which forms an even tighter circle around the blades then the stock baffles do, and with the OEM mulching blades, leaves and grass all but totally disappear. Even with the MOD open and these baffles/blades in place, the grass clippings coming out onto pavement look like they were run through a true mulch kit. I also added 1/8" more rear pitch to my blades to go with this new set-up. My QOC is as good as, (actually, better than) it's ever been.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...wer_deck.page?

As for the other question about buckhorn plantain and dandelions, you better believe it! In the spring, many yards here are much more yellow than green. We have buckhorn plantain in any lawn that doesn't get treated. I have cut a lot of that stuff, and last year under my std 7 Iron II deck, the G6's ate it for breakfast. They don't work quite as well with the MOD's baffling design for some reason I can't understand, because the OEM high lifts do a great job on both of those weeds.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Puppy, I see you have John Deere equipment on your farm, but i'm curious to know why you never stayed green with your mower.
I remember you tried a Bad Boy once but I'm keen to know if you have ever demoed the green line up and if so what your thoughts were.
I'm not sure If John Deere make a mower that travels as fast as the Hustler, is it primarily the speed of the super- z that keeps you loyal to the Hustler brand?