Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Many people say the high speeds on mowers such as the Hustler Super Z, Scag Cheetah, Bad Boy, and Dixie Chopper cannot be utilized as cutting speeds. This is not true, in many large, flat, open areas, these faster mowing speeds can be utilized.

I just cut 2.85 acres around 3 chicken houses with a Hustler Super 35/72" in 38 minutes. I know the exact square footage because of knowing the exact size of all 3 buildings, and the distance between, and outside the buildings. I once surveyed for a living and personally staked the houses for construction, meaning there is no guess work as to the 2.85 acres I stated.

I had to trim around 3 - 8' x 16' concrete pads large enough for each to hold 3...10 ton feed tanks. I had to trim around a 10' x 12' building that holds a 110 KW generator and transfer switch, 3...1000 gallon propane tanks, and another 10' x 20' covered concrete pad holding 2 incinerators.

The Kawasaki FX1000V pulling the 72" deck is using 1.8 gallons of fuel per hour, the math on the amount cut based on fuel usage does not look bad when cutting and trimming what would be the equivalent of 4.5 acres per hr. at the rate I was cutting.

I timed this particular area for a reason of seeing just how fast the new machine would cut a known amount, while knowing it takes my other 28/66" Super Z 50 minutes to mow this same area. I will say I ran the mower at full stick in the long straight away passes; pushing to see just how fast I could mow this amount of grass. I will also say I would not normally push quite that hard...but close to it.

What this shows is the amount of productivity one can get from faster mowing speeds, if the higher speed can be utilized.
This is why you have got to love the Pupster, come on Puppy stir some Poo Poo up!. The mower is only good at that speed if you can use it other than that some other z's may be better for most. Where I am most seem to feel the old XR7 is a little better at speed but those machines were underpowered.

Pupster you tried to say with the math in your head the 72 would only be 12.5 percent faster than your 66 and your time was around 25% faster on the 72 than on the old 66.

I found the same thing with my underpowered Super's as well the bigger deck just trashes the smaller ones in time on big areas. There is less slow down and turn time because you are not doing it as much + the deck is more efficient because you miss a inch or two on both sides while cutting and that makes the 72 more efficient as well so all this adds up to where a bigger cut just mows what is beyond your working it out on paper calculations tell you.

I read on this site where a guy had a 60 DC then bought a 72 and said it cut a football field down form 45 minutes to 30 and that is 33% faster. I was just claiming 30% and people said I was full of POO POO.

No doubt the more powerful engine keeps the speed up better but you pay for it in fuel a little.

That's why I posted on here for most operaters from a 48-54 cut you go to a 72 and forget 60,but it is application dependent.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder Bob View Post
Hey Puppy, I see you have John Deere equipment on your farm, but i'm curious to know why you never stayed green with your mower.
I remember you tried a Bad Boy once but I'm keen to know if you have ever demoed the green line up and if so what your thoughts were.
I'm not sure If John Deere make a mower that travels as fast as the Hustler, is it primarily the speed of the super- z that keeps you loyal to the Hustler brand?
No, not only the speed, but quality of build and hydraulics is my reasons for running Hustler Super Z mowers. The HyperDrive hydraulic system on my new mower is the only true industrial grade hydro system on the size zero turn mowers we run that is built.

I am a JD man for the most part on farm equipment, my father was a JD dealer for many years, after starting with International farm equipment in the 50's.

JD (yes I have run their biggest), does not have a mower built as strong, or as fast as a Super Z. The hydraulics are nowhere near comparable, I do think the cut is very good on JD, and would say it gives a better manicured cut than Hustler, but for my mowing conditions, the Super Z does a very good job, but at a much higher productivity rate, and a far superior ride.

My niece's, husband's, mother also has a farm, and they have always been diehard JD everything. The son talked his mother (father passed away) into buying a 900 series JD with a 72" deck. I've personally run this mower myself, much slower, much rougher ride, and the handling because of hydraulics is not comparable to either of my Super Z mowers.

I talked about the things I liked better about my mower, and the son (NC Highway Patrolman) had to come see for himself what I was talking about. Well, it was not long after that until he bought a new 60" Super Z. He used his new Super Z for a couple of weeks and I asked him what he thought. He told me he could not believe how much faster he could cut grass with a 60" deck than he could before with a 72" deck. He took the Super Z over to his mothers to help her mow (she has acres to mow), I think it was to show her the difference, but he told me he was literally running circles around the big JD. He said they were mowing back and forth, and he could mow a pass and half of another before his mother finished one pass. He was raving about the faster mowing speed.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Pupster you tried to say with the math in your head the 72 would only be 12.5 percent faster than your 66 and your time was around 25% faster on the 72 than on the old 66.
There is no way to calculate real-time numbers because of not knowing how much difference the extra hp will make in the different grass sizes. The thickness of grass may slow the speed of the mower powered by the 28 Kohler much more than the mower powered by 8 more hp, and I feel assured this is where some of the difference came into play.

I will admit, I was pushing the new mower for all she had, and what I mean by that is, when taking 50 min. with the 66" deck, I would slow down a fraction in areas I did not with the new mower. I was trying to see just how fast I could cut a known acreage, I can promise the next time I cut the same area with the 72 it will not be as fast.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guarantee you were surprised at how much more productive it was,when you do it again it will be about the same maybe a % or 2 slower. I have been through this as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I guarantee you were surprised at how much more productive it was,when you do it again it will be about the same maybe a % or 2 slower. I have been through this as well.
I think what impresses me most about this new mower is how well it rides, the longer wheel base, added weight, and flex forks make it ride as I would honestly describe as; unbelievably better than I could have ever imagined.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Weren't we talking about this same topic 4 yrs ago?!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I think what impresses me most about this new mower is how well it rides, the longer wheel base, added weight, and flex forks make it ride as I would honestly describe as; unbelievably better than I could have ever imagined.
weight is a disadvantage specially on hills.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
Weren't we talking about this same topic 4 yrs ago?!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Pupster
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hear ya!!!!!!I actually had to look at the date to make sure I wasn't responding to an old thread.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
I hear ya!!!!!!I actually had to look at the date to make sure I wasn't responding to an old thread.
You've been out of touch for what seem like years, where have you been?