Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulching Leaves

Hey guys,

How many of you guys mulch leaves in the fall with your mowers? I was thinking about getting a mulch kit put on my 36 walk behind and visiting every property every other week or so. Do any of you guys do this? what do you guys think. Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you will get different responses for different parts of the country, but I mulch year round wether its a full kit or a plate. I think it's a good idea, but I don't know how much leaves your talkin about....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulching Leaves

I put a mulch kit on my 48 inch ztr. Will not bag leaves unless it is a have to case.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I mulch them and then do an end of season final clean up. Easier, no complaints when the leaves are still falling on the lawn, make decent extra money for not much extra time, really depends on the area and how much leaf cover. As in I'm not going to wait 4 weeks then try to mulch. I'm mowing still during "leaf season" so I think it just works better. Sometimes the final clean up can be a lot but usually with the weekly mulching it ends up being just making sure all the beds are blown out and leaves mulched. I'll take away if needed. I usually leave at the curb for the town. I don't have a kit just mulch blades, not the wavy ones but the ones with the 4 "teeth". Shreds them pretty good. Just need multiple passes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
I mulch them and then do an end of season final clean up. Easier, no complaints when the leaves are still falling on the lawn, make decent extra money for not much extra time, really depends on the area and how much leaf cover. As in I'm not going to wait 4 weeks then try to mulch. I'm mowing still during "leaf season" so I think it just works better. Sometimes the final clean up can be a lot but usually with the weekly mulching it ends up being just making sure all the beds are blown out and leaves mulched. I'll take away if needed. I usually leave at the curb for the town. I don't have a kit just mulch blades, not the wavy ones but the ones with the 4 "teeth". Shreds them pretty good. Just need multiple passes.
Posted via Mobile Device
I pretty much do the same thing as you. It works for me. I however have to start the removal process early on a few places. The leaves get over baring within a month to the point I can't keep up. That's when I start bagging and remove them. No curbside pick up here.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am hoping to just be able to keep up my mowing schedule during leaf season and just mulch the leaves every mow.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Do any of you guys do this?
HELL YEAH! That's just how we GIT-R-DUN.

'nuff said.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I put the mulch kit on my old lazer z hp and decided to give mulching leaves a try . I was surprised at how well it did . Two passes cleaned it up enough that I didn't have to bag . When the leaves get a thicker layer will make a final pass with a bagging mower to clean it up .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will say this. I have one place and now my own place which I moved to this year and mulching leaves is just not an option during the final few weeks. At my place I'm not too concerned with bits and pieces of leaves all over the yard as I have a good chunk of property. At a customers house, I can't have that, at one with a small yard where you can't spread it out. One thing that changed my perspective was picking up a leaf loader. No not a fancy 18hp billy goat, a very old well cared for 5hp parker unit. The ability to remove them without the need to drag a tarp, jump on the piles, etc... just made removing an easy task. If I needed to remove on more properties I'd need a larger loader for sure as this isn't the quickest loader but works fine. But like I said above, I can mulch for the first couple of weeks without a lot of debris but after that removal is the best option. It just looks better in most situations. Again everyone will give a different answer or opinion but when you have the right equipment for removal why not. I noticed another landscaper doing leaf removal on some of my neighbors places using a lawn tractor dragging one of those towable leaf loaders. Maybe not the most efficient but those lawns were SPOTLESS when he was done. He uses a regular zero turn for mowing if any of you are concerned about the lawn tractor. So it really depends on the place, your equipment, and what your standards are. I'm beginning to like removal better.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

most of my customers like their leaves mulched until they are not visible, i do this with my scag wb with a mulching plate. i do have one customer who wants their yard bagged, i do this with my 22" toro. i really do not care for bagging because by mulching leaves, i do not have to fertilize as much in the spring.

Tags
leaves , mulching mower