Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not using mowers for leaf removal

Does anyone out there just use a back pack blower, tarp and a rake for leaf cleanups? It seems I'm putting my mowers through too much abuse making them go over mountains of leaves every fall. If so how is this working for you?
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's all I used last fall and it worked out fine for me. As long as you have a place to move or haul the leaves to, it seems like good way to go IMO. It's best to have at least two BP's going at a time if you can on larger properties.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you do your cleanups weekly or when all the leaves are down RidinGreen? I'm solo, so I can't have 2 going, but most of my properties are 1/4 acre.
By the way I decided to go with the Kawasaki 750 Bp. I'll let you know what I think. I've had some extra expenses with repairs and it'll be $360 after $50 rebate. Seemed to have similar specs to the other big blowers we talked about.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Do you do your cleanups weekly or when all the leaves are down RidinGreen?
By the way I decided to go with the Kawasaki 750 Bp. I'll let you know what I think. I've had some extra expenses with repairs and it'll be $360 after $50 rebate. Seemed to have similar specs to the other big blowers we talked about.
I think you'll probably like that BP just fine. The dealer I was going to go to has them for $439, but that's after the mail-in rebate. If you bought online, did you ask about repair or return policy? just curious what they said, because it sounds like you got a smokin' deal.

As for the leaves, I did them however the person wanted them. If they wanted weekly, I did that. Same for one time clean-ups, but I explained that one time clean-ups take alot longer to do, especially if it gets any snow on it before I get there, and there's more to haul away (if I need to haul, it depends on the property), so costs go up accordingly. Most were fine with once a week since that's what the mowing had been anyway.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's how I do most of mine weekly. I wish I could find a free place to dump. I'm ordering it the first of the week and will remember to ask those questions.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really like the way they look/are designed. I'd really like to try one myself once the leaves start getting heavy on the ground. It may sound weird, but I flat out love to run my BP's for any reason, and especially for leaves. Even so, I am using my Z950 to mulch most of them this year. I like to try different methods to get the most firsthand experience I can, as long as they don't cost me too much time or money. I have mulched with several different mowers and mulch kits over the years, and one of the main reasons I bought this 950 with the MOD deck was for leaves in the fall. I've made some mods to it that seem to be really working out well so far. I'll probably post a thread on it when I get more time on the leaves once they start getting heavy on the ground. We've got six weeks from right now for all the leaves to be on the ground. They're always on the ground by the first day of deer season here- 11-15.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want to hijack my own thread, but I've been trying to get answer to my question from anyone and you seem to be good about answering things. One of the reasons I'm wanting to use my mowers less this fall is cause of problems I've been having with my V-Ride. Right now I think of narrowed a problem with the cut quality down to a loose belt. I'm not sure if the belt needs replaced or if the tensioner needs adjusted but belt is slapping alot when engaged and deck is vibrating slightly. How do I adjust a self-adjusting tensioner? Which is what the manual suggests under problems with the cut section. I'm not sure if you can answer this not owning a V-Ride, but I can't get a comment out of anyone about adjusting a tensioner.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And why would the manual suggest to adjust a tensioner that is "self adjusting"? Thanks
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think they all calll them self adjusting anymore, but if it's anything like the ones I've owned, it is self adjusting only to a point. What I mean is they have a spring that tensions the belt within a specific range of motion, but once a belt gets too worn and loose, the tensioner itself needs to be adjusted. My manual say my spring should be a certain length to be provide correct tension on the drive belt for the deck. If it is out of spec, it explains how to adjust that spring to get it back in spec and tension the belt correctly.
IHTH

Forgot to add that I just read your thread and the one reply you got about hitting something with your V-ride. I'd do just as that guy said and change the belt. If it has a crack, it is getting too worn to be realible and your belt tensioner may not be tensioning it correctly due to the wear and crack in the belt. Also like he said, you prolly just noticed it after the "big bang" because you were actually paying attention to potential troubles after that.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, make double, triple, fourple sure your blades aren't hitting the deck skirt anywhere now. The look for any hump or dip across the top of the deck itself. If something did get bent, it could be throwing the belt out of alignment enough to cause a vibration.