Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate it when my posts get sent to the twilight zone of landscape maintenance. It seems no one ever visits this section. It's like the Bermuda Triangle of lawnsite lol. Maybe we'll find Amelia Earhart in here.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
The only reason I usually mulch is because of dumping costs. I still have leaves in my garden area that I dumped there last year b/c I hate going to the dumpsite. But they just called me the other day and said they were under new management and wondered why I hadn't been down there lately. There was a guy down there I called the "grass nazi" b/c he was very strict and wouldn't pick up stuff I set on my curb cause he said it was from other people's yards. It was of course, but why's he care? It was in the proper containers that they require. He must of pissed off alot of the landscapers for them to fire him. THe grass Nazi's reign of terror is no more!
Leaves are not big issue for me . My mother in law has 14 acres I dump just about anything nature grows on property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I just removed the belt easily by hand. I could of removed it with a single finger almost. When I removed the belt the spring became totally loose and limp. SHould this be? It doesn't look stretched and I can't see anywhere to tighten it on the idler arm.
Yes, the tension spring will be loose if there isn't a belt on the pulley system.

I didn't read all of the posts, so let me say this.

If your deck uses an electric PTO to engage the deck, the belt should be fairly taught all of the time. If your more uses a manual PTO, the deck belt will be loose when the deck is disengaged, and fairly taught when it's engaged.

You never want to "over tension" your belt because because it will wear your bearings out. Experience will teach you how tight it should be.

As a general rule I always say that the belt should be as loose as possible without slipping when you run into high, thick grass/ weeds. It should be tight enough to kill the engine before it slips.
Stan
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowers are cheap compared to replacing worn body parts when you're 50.

Besides, you could buy a new mower every year or two with the added revenue you can earn from the time savings.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Yes, the tension spring will be loose if there isn't a belt on the pulley system.

I didn't read all of the posts, so let me say this.

If your deck uses an electric PTO to engage the deck, the belt should be fairly taught all of the time. If your more uses a manual PTO, the deck belt will be loose when the deck is disengaged, and fairly taught when it's engaged.

You never want to "over tension" your belt because because it will wear your bearings out. Experience will teach you how tight it should be.

As a general rule I always say that the belt should be as loose as possible without slipping when you run into high, thick grass/ weeds. It should be tight enough to kill the engine before it slips.
Stan
I can't believe ya'll let me slide on the mistake of using the word "taught" instead of correct term "taut". We'll, this "taught" me a lesson....always triple check your post when you're very tired. Come on, I know somebody caught it and was just being polite by not mentioning it.
Ridin'.....anybody.?.....
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I can't believe ya'll let me slide on the mistake of using the word "taught" instead of correct term "taut". We'll, this "taught" me a lesson....always triple check your post when you're very tired. Come on, I know somebody caught it and was just being polite by not mentioning it.
Ridin'.....anybody.?.....
I musta been tired too Stan, because I blew past that like a drunk through a red light. Especially since you did it twice