Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-30-2015, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

When you say X per hour for clean up is the guy raking or bagging also at that rate?

I'm wondering how to quote clean up job by the hour.
If I tell the customer $60 per hour per man.

For example two people crew me(Foreman) using hedge trimmer and the 2nd guy behind me collecting the debris.
How can I charge the customer $60 per man if the 2nd man is doing non machine operation job it's just manual labor.

I thought it should be $60 for me and $45 for the 2nd guy add them up is $105 divide by 2 is $52.

Would it be better to say $52 per hour

Or tell them me $60 and crew $45

Whats your take on this?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you say X per hour for clean up is the guy raking or bagging also at that rate?

Figure out a price you want for doing the job. Add $$ to that and then use that as the low number in a range that you give. Example $1200-1600.00
Old 05-30-2015, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Just bid by the job unless it's a maintenance accounts, them you can use that as a base.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did your rake cost $12,000?
Then how can it command the same hourly rate as your Ztr?
$60 an hour is a rate reserved for $12,000 machines.
The higher the cost of the tool in use, the higher your hourly rate becomes.
The hourly rate is fully dependent on the cost and overhead of the tool that is being used.
Working with a rake your overhead is low, you're looking more like $20 an hour.
Or you can quote anything your little heart desires, I was simply assuming you actually wanted the work.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
The hourly rate is fully dependent on the cost and overhead of the tool that is being used.
Or you can quote anything your little heart desires, I was simply assuming you actually wanted the work.
i agree with this and thank you for clearing this up for many....one cannot simply say '$60/hour to put a guy on your property'...
i routinely do maintenance and basic property cleanup (pruning, weeding, edging, raking leaves) at $35 and i feel that is more than enough to rake leaves from under a bush and haul them away, if im mowing the lawn, the rate is increased, simply because there is a maintenance and replacement cost of the equipment built into that price.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emar View Post
I'm wondering how to quote clean up job by the hour.
If I tell the customer $60 per hour per man.

For example two people crew me(Foreman) using hedge trimmer and the 2nd guy behind me collecting the debris.
How can I charge the customer $60 per man if the 2nd man is doing non machine operation job it's just manual labor.

I thought it should be $60 for me and $45 for the 2nd guy add them up is $105 divide by 2 is $52.

Would it be better to say $52 per hour

Or tell them me $60 and crew $45

Whats your take on this?
Quote the job for your price. If your willing to have the customer beat you up by knowing your hourly rate times, how many other people are required to complete the job you may get the job, however in the long run you will be nickeled, dimed to death going forward. Your customer is smart enough to calculate simple multiplication and division. If he or she is not don't waste your time. Unless your willing to be played. Make the customer work for your services rendered, unless your willing to accommodate everyone else except your self.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-31-2015, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't tell customers your hourly rates. Here is why:

Many customers, if you tell them $52.00 per man hour, they will think, "oh my God, we can't pay that much, that's so expensive."

But... if you look at a job, and think it will take just under 4 man hours (you and your worker), and you tell them $195.00... suddenly... the same price quote, but worded differently makes them think, "That's reasonable"
Old 05-31-2015, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah giving them an hourly rate is always a bad idea. you tell them $50-$60 per hr they are thinking omg this guy is ripping people off.

most people think in terms of working a normal job where $50 per hr would be alot of money...like $100k per year salary.

most don't understand all your expenses and so forth come out of that so really you are making about half of that or less even.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Yes i get your point.
So if you were also working on the property managing the team would u also include your self as $20 per hour rate as a team leader/supervisor/worker?
Old 05-31-2015, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
i agree with this and thank you for clearing this up for many....one cannot simply say '$60/hour to put a guy on your property'...
i routinely do maintenance and basic property cleanup (pruning, weeding, edging, raking leaves) at $35 and i feel that is more than enough to rake leaves from under a bush and haul them away, if im mowing the lawn, the rate is increased, simply because there is a maintenance and replacement cost of the equipment built into that price.
The $35/hr seems fair. Does that rate also apply to the guy using a $600 blower?
But if you have a team of lets say 4 ppl including you, and you are managing them do you also pay your self $35/hr as a supervisor and worker?