Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like the 570bts has about the same specs as the 770, but you say it is more powerful?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely.

I ran the Echo 770 last fall a few weeks before I bought the 570, and was about to go drop the coin on it, when I found a dealer who actually had the 570 in stock. After driving down there to demo it, it was an easy choice. The numbers they provide don't always tell the story accurately. The 770 was so close in performance to my BR600M that no one watching could tell any difference, but you can clearly see it with the 570, especially when the wall of leaves gets deep, wide and heavy.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said earlier, I have the 580 and agree that in the factory configuration it doesn't scour all that well, given it's size and power.

I ran a 770 at my dealer and then my 580 along side a landscaper friend's 770 when his crew was working on an account next to me. They were trying to blow some leaves into the shurbbery/woods and I came over with my 580 and a "is this what you're trying to do" smartarse attitude. I let the guy's son use my 580 and he couldn't believe the difference and he asked if he could use it on their next lawn (which was right up the road and on my way home), since it was getting late in the day and they were in a hurry. I let him take it and had to practically wrestle it away from him when it was time for me to retrieve it!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well if Stihl's didn't last 20 years I am sure I'd have thrown the last one away by now, instead even a dozen years into it all but one or two of my units still run.

Then, a winter or two ago when my br-600 was giving me trouble and after the final fall out with our small store dealers I had wanted a second Husqvarna unit in my line up... We already had a 455 Rancher and I can assure you that Husqvarna makes very good products, everyone likes that chainsaw but there was so much trouble trying to get a 580 at the time, they had just come out and it was do this and do that and nobody had one, I needed a backpack blower and sometime that week!

I had no choice but the turning point was when I found out a local Agri store up the street from me had been given dealer's rights (because no small store dealers get along with anyone in my company) I went right up and bought a 600...

Later that same day the carburetor for my old 600 came in...
And lo and behold that was the problem...

Never really even used the new one, stuck it in a plastic bag to keep things fresh, been sitting ever since.
I had hardly put fuel in the tank, figured I'd keep it as a back up, still haven't had the need.

As for the straps, some modification and ingenuity was required but I found these replaced my $80 OEM ones nicely, they've been on my old BR-600 for 2-3 years full time use now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRAPS-Shoul...item19d56a419a
They'll cost you $20 with the shipping and you lose the back pad, but put it on slow as it sure saved me a bundle.

Last edited by herler; 10-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Besides all the things mentioned already, they're reliable. Had my old BR 550 for 5 years havent done any repairs to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I really don't see how anyone can say the 600's shoulder straps are uncomfortable, they are way more comfortable than the huskies, much more padding, plenty of adjustment, and I don't want those waist straps in my way when I want to grab the blower for a quick clean up, maybe for long all day jobs but even then I haven't had any issue with the 600's straps.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I really don't see how anyone can say the 600's shoulder straps are uncomfortable, they are way more comfortable than the huskies, much more padding, plenty of adjustment, and I don't want those waist straps in my way when I want to grab the blower for a quick clean up, maybe for long all day jobs but even then I haven't had any issue with the 600's straps.
I don't know when you got your 600, but until earlier this year, their shoulder straps were straight from top to bottom and though they are nicely padded and aren't uncomfortabble in that regard, they tend to keep trying to slide down and off the shoulders when moving the tube from side to side. I am constantly having to readjust mine on my shoulders. I don't have to do that with my Husky- ever. It stays locked in place. The belt "ears" on my 570 aren't even noticable when putting it on or off. It's no harder to do than with any other blower out there, and like I said, I've ran them all. One other thing that I like about the "ears" is that it seems to keep the shoulder straps always situated so that I can just slide my arms through without having to wrestle around with the straps to make sure their not twisted before I put it on. The straps aren't as padded as some of the other blowers, but all the padding in the world doesn't help much if the straps are narrow. That's another reason the Husky is so much more comfortable- the straps are nice and wide and spread the load out across a much wider area of the shoulder on each side.

I'm not one of the Stihl bashers here. I have one and I like it very well. I am just being honest with all the info instead of being biased based on brand loyalty.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I don't know when you got your 600, but until earlier this year, their shoulder straps were straight from top to bottom and though they are nicely padded and aren't uncomfortabble in that regard, they tend to keep trying to slide down and off the shoulders when moving the tube from side to side. I am constantly having to readjust mine on my shoulders. I don't have to do that with my Husky- ever. It stays locked in place. The belt "ears" on my 570 aren't even noticable when putting it on or off. It's no harder to do than with any other blower out there, and like I said, I've ran them all. One other thing that I like about the "ears" is that it seems to keep the shoulder straps always situated so that I can just slide my arms through without having to wrestle around with the straps to make sure their not twisted before I put it on. The straps aren't as padded as some of the other blowers, but all the padding in the world doesn't help much if the straps are narrow. That's another reason the Husky is so much more comfortable- the straps are nice and wide and spread the load out across a much wider area of the shoulder on each side.

I'm not one of the Stihl bashers here. I have one and I like it very well. I am just being honest with all the info instead of being biased based on brand loyalty.
I've noticed this same strap issue on my magnum vs my regular BR 600...it's not just you. I end up tying the strap tugs together around my chest to keep it from slipping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I've noticed this same strap issue on my magnum vs my regular BR 600...it's not just you. I end up tying the strap tugs together around my chest to keep it from slipping.
Posted via Mobile Device
I bought the cross chest strap to see if it would help, but it is a poor design and I ended up taking it back off. I am thinking about trying a set of the new straps they came out with earlier this year. They should be a big improvement on an otherwise very good blower.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I bought the cross chest strap to see if it would help, but it is a poor design and I ended up taking it back off. I am thinking about trying a set of the new straps they came out with earlier this year. They should be a big improvement on an otherwise very good blower.
Report back...
Posted via Mobile Device