Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Sarlo 8.5 Hp Push mower Grass Clumping problem

just bought one of the sarlo push mowers with an 8.5 22' deck a week or so ago to help keep up with work orders while I figured out whether to go with a hydro floating deck velke walk or zturn mower ... my old mower even with the self propelled gears taken out the extra weight was slowin me down too much, was alright for the first 200 lawns but I moved down to miami and the foreclosure lots are much bigger on average contrary to what I would have expected

anyway that my excuse so people don't sit there and say I wasted my money when having backup mowers doesn't bother me at all ... was a temporary solution and ill be getting a zturn before next rotation most likley - I was hoping that this sarlo would get me through to the start of next grass season

problem is, thing has been dumping compacted grass clumps no matter how much its cleaned ... we've looked at the undercarriage and the bolts that hold the motor in place stick out over the top of the blade so wey're going to turn those around and have them stick up instead ... but it's ridiculous with foreclosure cutting somtimes your cuttin 4 inch grass down to 3 inches and it'll dump a huge load on the 3rd lane ... which shouldn't be possible right after it's been cleaned

my 6.5 honda didn't even have a discharge and mulched up the grass without a problem never had that issue , this discharge is clogging up on dry grass in the middle of the day so dew or wet grass aint an excuse and I clean it before I go out everytime... nothing is more frustrating that putting effort into getting your photo's nice and there being dark green clumps or huge rings of dark green in the middle of your photo ...

I know I could rake it up but i'll sledgehammer the mower before I have to waste time doing that , which would end up being the more cost effective solution there

someone suggested spam on the underside ... or oil ... was wondering if any of yall had input or experience with these push mowers since they're supposed to be legendary which im sad to say has not lived up to with this model ... thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I agree with the suggestion to try Spam on the underside. That should fix it.

Name:  586_spam.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  45.7 KB

In the off chance that Spam isn't the answer....

Usually, when a mower holds, then dumps grass, it's because of the high moisture content in the grass. No amount of canned meat product (or cooking spray) is going to fix it.

(Information only - Gators make the issue worse)

I see you're from Miami. You're the &@$!@%*# that have been stealing all of our rain!!! Just be happy that you've got grass to cut!

I would imagine the problem is not unique to your Sarlo. Wait for the grass to dry and I'm sure your problem will solve itself.

Q

Last edited by JimQ; 10-01-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mmm...fried SPAM!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

haha yea I did mean pam cooking spray or some oil ... well I know it clumps when it rains or early in the morning and such i've gone through a couple mowers, this was more a buildup under the mower that was dumping huge rings of grass than just regular clumping that's stopped my push mower blades in the past when the grass is thick or wet, its the design on the thing I love it's simplicity and lightweight and handle design , but the discharge just ain't cuttin it ....friend pointed out I should be able to take it back since I bought it less than 30 days ago and just pay the refurbish fee

you're probably right at first I didn't really have the problem with the mower didn't get to put it to the test on wet grass and such .... I think a mower twice the size will solve the problem since I can't wait for grass to dry

haha yea its been raining allot down here , almost all my properties are commercial vacancy's feel free to take your rain back