Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Coyote Hunting? Has anyone ever tried this!

Hello,

I like the outdoors very much. I like to fish, outdoors junkie when I can get the time. I was wondering has anybody did any coyote hunting? I would like to try this one day, the only problem I don't have any land to hunt on and I live in Louisville, KY the city. So if anyone that lives near Louisville, KY and hunts coyotes email me and would love to try this.

Greenman33
Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Sponsor

As an invasive exotic species, I would not say I love to destroy this species, but the next time a pack are out side my window at Two in the morning, I suspect there will be a few of them that will pass on due to acute lead poisoning. The fish in my pond will take care of the remains. Case closed.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
As an invasive exotic species, I would not say I love to destroy this species,
As hunters, we don't seek and destroy.

And as far as exotic, going back to the Lewis and Clark Trail {expedition}
Coyotes and Bobcats were a first discoverd species I believe.

I think I may have also read yotes and dogs wound up being table fare, except for Clark.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did it years ago up in Nebraska,, use to get 60 bucks a hide for them. Pretty good money and farmers would always give you permission to hunt them.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've tried countless times to go out there and kill a few but they are really smart. Within the past 2 years DNR has brought in whats called a red timberwolf
They are just as bad or not worse than coyotes. A lot bigger also. What could they have thinking do this crap.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
We've tried countless times to go out there and kill a few but they are really smart. Within the past 2 years DNR has brought in whats called a red timberwolf
They are just as bad or not worse than coyotes. A lot bigger also. What could they have thinking do this crap.
We had red timber wolves they got shot
Around here we run dogs alot its a hobby use to make good money still do on bobcats
Now I enjoy calling them up Bobcats and Coyotes Foxs even badgers I use all hand made calls more enjoyment
Shoot them 200-300 yrds away but there days and wind is right I'll call them up with in 30-40 yrds shoot them with shot gun

We have Cattle Ranch so have to keep the Coyotes thin

Hope you find somebody take you hunting once you do it you will be hook for life
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Ill take ya~

I live in e-town just south of louisville and hunt yotes quite often and 90 percent of farmers are more than accepting of the offer to hunt their coyotes! We will have to wait until deer season passes though, people tend to frown on ya encroaching on their deer woods...... Its is alot of fun and really challenging most of the time, they very seldom stop so you haveta hit them on the run more times than not.. pm me your email and e ca n work somethin out.
61" Scag cheetah 31hp
36" John Deere walk behind
22" craftsman push mower
Sthil weedeaters
echo hedge trimmers
Sthil blowers BG-85, BR-600

Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
We had red timber wolves they got shot
Around here we run dogs alot its a hobby use to make good money still do on bobcats
Now I enjoy calling them up Bobcats and Coyotes Foxs even badgers I use all hand made calls more enjoyment
Shoot them 200-300 yrds away but there days and wind is right I'll call them up with in 30-40 yrds shoot them with shot gun

We have Cattle Ranch so have to keep the Coyotes thin

Hope you find somebody take you hunting once you do it you will be hook for life
We run dogs here too, but not for coyotes people love running deer drives here. Cant say I have participated in it. Im a traditional hunter I'll sit in stand hours and hours on end.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing like lambing season and getting to shoot coyotes.

Back when we were teens in South CA, where our family friend would lamb his sheep, even in a corral area, the coyotes would sneak in and get a new born lamb. So we were welcomed any time to reduce the local population.

Problem is, new corral doesn't exist, sheep are gone, and houses now stand where once was wild grass land and pasture.

Nothing real fancy, just a little .22 and iron sights. Oh, CA F&G also frowns on this practice now. Also, dumb people leave their dog and cat food outside and they wonder why their small puppies and cats are getting eaten or why their small child is bitten while walking a nature trail....go figure.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been in on a few night hunts for them due to them messing with peoples farms. The M1a was great for this. Im not a big fan of killing things but having seen a pack of them gang up on young farm animals IMO that was alot worse.

The AR and AK/SKS didn't do a half bad of a job either. lol