Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2012, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Sub-contracting question

Here is the question, I had one of my clients refer me to a new potential client. I show up at the house and it needs a lot done. I know I cant do the job on my own so I give a buddy of mine who owns a bigger company who can handle jobs like this.

We show up the guy wants alot more done than I first thought, the estimate my buddy came up with was about 15k on the low end, might be around 20k in the end.

the job consists of putting up a new wooden fence, irrigation system, tilling the ivy because its covering most of the grass, cutting down some new growth trees about 12 of them 6" in diameter (because it is show shaded by the amount of trees it would be almost impossible to grow anything), laying down top soil to level the ground and seeding, ripping out thorn bush and replacing it with something that is low maintenance.

we would be having 2 different companies do the fence and irrigation that my buddy has dealt with before

The job will be started after winter probably early spring is what we are trying to shoot for

I will be helping on this job with labor, what would be a reasonable commission for me? the job should take around 3 full days

I have never sub contracted before so I was just trying to get an idea of what I should be getting
Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who gave the estimated time of 3days to complete? I just see all that work being done in such a short amount of time. Who is the main contractor on the job, you or yur buddy?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Who gave the estimated time of 3days to complete? I just see all that work being done in such a short amount of time. Who is the main contractor on the job, you or yur buddy?
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, tree guys tripping over sprinkler guys and install crews. 3 days is a tight timeline and you always have to remember weather in the equation. I would tell the customer 5 days barring weather or other things beyond your control at least this gives you a buffer. Make sure you have all insurance info on the subs so if something goes wrong you aren't the one holding the bag.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I agree, tree guys tripping over sprinkler guys and install crews. 3 days is a tight timeline and you always have to remember weather in the equation. I would tell the customer 5 days barring weather or other things beyond your control at least this gives you a buffer. Make sure you have all insurance info on the subs so if something goes wrong you aren't the one holding the bag.
My buddy estimated it about 3 full days of work, I think this is just because he was not 100% sure the guy wants the fence right away. We didnt give the client a set number of days it would take this is just what he told me, my buddy is trying to get all the pricing done this week and than we will be back in touch with him.

I am really only legal to do maintenance so I know I wouldnt be able to take on the job by my self. So it would be under him as he is certified to handle landscape design jobs, I will ask him to show me his insurance and the 2 other contractors... So would this not be considered sub contracting? I want to get some money but what is fair? and How would I go about that so if something happens my insurance is not involved? any help is appreciated
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPops View Post
My buddy estimated it about 3 full days of work, I think this is just because he was not 100% sure the guy wants the fence right away. We didnt give the client a set number of days it would take this is just what he told me, my buddy is trying to get all the pricing done this week and than we will be back in touch with him.

I am really only legal to do maintenance so I know I wouldnt be able to take on the job by my self. So it would be under him as he is certified to handle landscape design jobs, I will ask him to show me his insurance and the 2 other contractors... So would this not be considered sub contracting? I want to get some money but what is fair? and How would I go about that so if something happens my insurance is not involved? any help is appreciated
If the job is under you buddy then you need to give him insurance papers. In all honesty. The best way to deal with this is take a percentage of the job and hand it over to your buddy. This way you get money for finding the work and he gets to run the show using his experience, learn what you can from him on this job so the next time you can tackle it yourself.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If the job is under you buddy then you need to give him insurance papers. In all honesty. The best way to deal with this is take a percentage of the job and hand it over to your buddy. This way you get money for finding the work and he gets to run the show using his experience, learn what you can from him on this job so the next time you can tackle it yourself.
Okay that sounds best, I'll basically just take my company out of the equation... but what would be a good and fair percentage? and Do you think I should ask to work the job under him to learn and get some experience, I have helped him out multiple times on jobs but I would want to be paid for the labor plus my % ... is asking him to pay me for labor and asking for a % too much?

thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Okay that sounds best, I'll basically just take my company out of the equation... but what would be a good and fair percentage? and Do you think I should ask to work the job under him to learn and get some experience, I have helped him out multiple times on jobs but I would want to be paid for the labor plus my % ... is asking him to pay me for labor and asking for a % too much?

thanks for the feedback.
If you want the experience sub for him and leave out the %. This might not work for him as he is most likely capable of doing your work himself and for a lower cost. Talk to him and see how he wants the project run and what your compensation should be. I could give you a percentage but I have no idea how tight he is estimating the job.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If you want the experience sub for him and leave out the %. This might not work for him as he is most likely capable of doing your work himself and for a lower cost. Talk to him and see how he wants the project run and what your compensation should be. I could give you a percentage but I have no idea how tight he is estimating the job.

Alright, I will talk to him the way he explained it to me of these rough estimates, 2000$ irrigation he based that off a previous job he had done with this guy of something of similar size, the fence he wasnt 100% off the top so he went with 7-8k. and he does tree work .so lets say the rest is low cost expenses like top soil and seeding and dump fees so it would be a a decent size profit margin mostly labor hours.

I will have a better idea of pricing when he does all the numbers and measuring of the property

I might want to take a back seat on this one.. I'd rather walk and not run because there will be more of these to come in the future this would be a big jump for me

What do you think a good and reasonable percent will be? if you need to wait to get an actual number he ends up with Ill let you know when I find out
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Alright, I will talk to him the way he explained it to me of these rough estimates, 2000$ irrigation he based that off a previous job he had done with this guy of something of similar size, the fence he wasnt 100% off the top so he went with 7-8k. and he does tree work .so lets say the rest is low cost expenses like top soil and seeding and dump fees so it would be a a decent size profit margin mostly labor hours.

I will have a better idea of pricing when he does all the numbers and measuring of the property

I might want to take a back seat on this one.. I'd rather walk and not run because there will be more of these to come in the future this would be a big jump for me

What do you think a good and reasonable percent will be? if you need to wait to get an actual number he ends up with Ill let you know when I find out
If you are around the 20k mark I would say around 2.5% should be enough to cover what you have into the project, then again I don't know how much time and effort you have put into this either.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If you are around the 20k mark I would say around 2.5% should be enough to cover what you have into the project, then again I don't know how much time and effort you have put into this either.

okay, that sounds good... I have met with the client 2 times and had many phone calls arranging the date that me, him and my buddy can meet ..other than setting the meeting up and meeting with the client once before to take pictures thats what I have in so far..

Thanks for all the info