Register free!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rittenhouse Injector Gun ??????

Has anyone has experience with this Injector Gun. I would like to find an injector system to use in my spray boat. The plan is to draw water from the pond or lake with a 12 V pump and run it though an injector system instead of stopping to keep filling a spray tank. I would also like to trade nozzles to either a Zero or 15 Degree for Aquatic work.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=390

I really don't trust Rittenhouse sales pitches and they will not take it back once I Spray Aquatic Gly in it. I am thinking it is not unlike the cheap hose end sprayer that never work correctly. The Injector system I use on my insecticide rig only does one Oz per gallon which isn't enough material.

BTW I am open to other suggestion of equipment that would do the same thing at a reasonable cost.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about an injector that will dispense higher rates? Before I got my current spray rig, I used to run liquid fertilizers through an injector that could dispense at up to 10%. This one was the Tefen Mixrite. I paid about $300 or so and still have it as a backup. It was mounted on a cart with a 5 gallon tank for solutions. Connect to water and unroll a garden hose with a chemlawn nozzle and I was in business. Not a Dosatron, but I was not going to pay Dosatron prices for a temporary unit that I would mothball when I set up the skid sprayer.

I would not touch that Rittenhouse Injector gun. The parts that are metering what's in the bottle are made of brass. Anything acidic or containing amines will eat that brass up rendering attempts at maintaining calibration impossible. The metering mechanism with the sliding tube is exactly like a Gilmour gun marketed to dairy farmers and packing plants for washing down with disinfectant. You need something that will dispense 11/2-5% right? The Tefen injectors will do that without pressure loss. My beef with suction injectors is that the venturi chops the flow and pressure. I learned this fooling around with the Hozon Siphonex injectors on my own lawn. The pump injectors such as the Dosatron or Tefen do not affect flow or pressure if you are operating within the GPM limit of the unit. Your pressure washer tips should be well under that limit. Just observe the minimum draw rates in order for the injector to work. If I had to do that set up on an aquatic boat, I am thinking three ball valves teed in to the injector suction line. One for glyphosate, one for 2,4-D amine and one for imazapyr.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green

The Rittenhouse gun looked like over priced crap so that was why I ask.

The reason I went with the Chemizer injector on my Fire Ant Truck was the piston pump driven by positive displacement. It doesn't matter what the flow rate is to remain in calibration. I also want a FIXED RATE pump because they stay in calibration better. But Chemizer doesn't offer a 10% injection, the best they do is a 1.5%

In checking out the Tefen Mixrite I like what I see. It pretty much works on the same principle as the Chemizer. At $ 300 the price is right. Because I use a short hose in the boat a mix chamber might be a wise addition. These injector do start and stop so a mixing chamber will keep a more consistent application. 50 ft hose would do the same thing. Like you I am not paying Dosatron prices. Aquatic work is too small of a percentage of my income to invest that much in Equipment.

BTW My ""Spray Boat"" is actually a 1975 aluminum Row boat with a trolling motor. The older boat has thicker Aluminum and doesn't leak after all these years. I mount the Trolling motor dead center of the bow and have super steering. A deep Cycle Marine Battery can push the boat and the spray pump for a couple of days without recharging. I don't use that boat very often so I have a small solar panel that trickle charges it to maintain the battery.

There is a lot of Aquatic work here in Florida. But a few Big Boys have most of it tied up. I haven't gone after it and only have those aquatic accounts that more or less I fell into. I Pretty much fell into my spray boat when a customer had it for sale cheap. The boat still looks OK and it works great.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello

We would not recommend our Injector Gun for any aquatic applications. It is designed for Round Up, Sevin and products like that for applying on turf only.

It may indeed work for your application but we certainly are not going to suggest it will, nor would I try and sell it to you for that purpose.

Regards,
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@rittenhouse View Post
Hello

We would not recommend our Injector Gun for any aquatic applications. It is designed for Round Up, Sevin and products like that for applying on turf only.

It may indeed work for your application but we certainly are not going to suggest it will, nor would I try and sell it to you for that purpose.

Regards,
Robert

What is the Difference between Glyphosate (Roundup) sprayed on turf and Glyphosate (Aqua Master) sprayed on shore line & Aquatic weeds????

Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW You can say Surfactant since Aquatic Glyphosate doesn't have any surfactant. But that doesn't change the viscosity for the spray in any way that would effect equipment.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric, we designed and tested the gun with a very specific nozzle for a very specific application. If you change the nozzle it will throw off the calibration and will not work properly.

It is designed for spraying turf while walking and holding the spray gun out in front of the applicator.

It is not so much an issue with the chemical as it is the application.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@rittenhouse View Post
Ric, we designed and tested the gun with a very specific nozzle for a very specific application. If you change the nozzle it will throw off the calibration and will not work properly.

It is designed for spraying turf while walking and holding the spray gun out in front of the applicator.

It is not so much an issue with the chemical as it is the application.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers!
Robert

I will not reply to that in order to keep the peace but you know what I am think of RittenHouse.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Ric,
I jumped on this because I do have a rittenhouse injector but it is a root feeder. It is a great unit and works as described. I too have bought junk from Rittenhouse but I also have gotten some good EQ.

I have no clue about the EQ you are discussing but wanted to say hi. Hi!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pressure Washing Injectors are the Same, funny How so many things are related.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
How about an injector that will dispense higher rates? Before I got my current spray rig, I used to run liquid fertilizers through an injector that could dispense at up to 10%. This one was the Tefen Mixrite. I paid about $300 or so and still have it as a backup. It was mounted on a cart with a 5 gallon tank for solutions. Connect to water and unroll a garden hose with a chemlawn nozzle and I was in business. Not a Dosatron, but I was not going to pay Dosatron prices for a temporary unit that I would mothball when I set up the skid sprayer.

I would not touch that Rittenhouse Injector gun. The parts that are metering what's in the bottle are made of brass. Anything acidic or containing amines will eat that brass up rendering attempts at maintaining calibration impossible. The metering mechanism with the sliding tube is exactly like a Gilmour gun marketed to dairy farmers and packing plants for washing down with disinfectant. You need something that will dispense 11/2-5% right? The Tefen injectors will do that without pressure loss. My beef with suction injectors is that the venturi chops the flow and pressure. I learned this fooling around with the Hozon Siphonex injectors on my own lawn. The pump injectors such as the Dosatron or Tefen do not affect flow or pressure if you are operating within the GPM limit of the unit. Your pressure washer tips should be well under that limit. Just observe the minimum draw rates in order for the injector to work. If I had to do that set up on an aquatic boat, I am thinking three ball valves teed in to the injector suction line. One for glyphosate, one for 2,4-D amine and one for imazapyr.
3 replies:

1. A late Thanks for Tefen Mixrite name. I went ahead and got a 4% which adds 5 1/8 oz per gallon. This works great for 3 Oz Aquatic Gly 1.5 oz 2,4-D and .62 MSO. Yes I am running the MSO a little high but it works better IMHO. I did have to add a Well Point type pick up strainer to keep trash out of my 12 V pump that powers the Aquatic Spray rig. But I can put jugs of premixed chemicals in my boat and spray all day long with out stopping to fill a tank. That is a time saver. BTW At $ 225.00 plus tax and shipping it was a bargain compared to Dolsatron prices. I realize you pay more because of Shipping to the Islands.

2. Venturi injectors are prey to Pressure drops and un-reliable calibration. Not to say Flow drop Isn't a PITA also. a Pressure regulator is necessary to keep any kind of Calibration. I think for soap applications for pressure washing Venturi Injectors would be good because calibration might not be as important.

3. Imazapyr is hotter than I want to fool with. I have used it in the past to kill Melaleuca Trees in standing water natural areas. But the few aquatic jobs I have don't need that much power. Pretty much the same thing with having 3 or 4 different chemical mixes for the injector. I do mix for conditions. For Algae I drag a Burlap sack full of granular Cooper. This year we been lucky to have too much rain and no algae so far because it gets washed away. Now that rain Season is over I expect more Algae.

BTW I tried Posting Aquatic Weed Control in the Pond Forum with no luck. They don't appear interested in Aquatic Weed Control. Here is Florida too many LCO's are missing the boat of Retention and Detention drainage Pond maintenance.