Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

ECHO PB 770T Not Reaching full RPMs & Bogging

Background, Its only about a year old & worked great all last season, 1st season. Winterized properly and was fine initially this spring then after about the 3rd use it started acting up. I always put Seafoam in my new gas as well.

Its gets used commercially but not extensively or intensively thus far, not enough to warrant these issues being this new by any means.

It starts like a champ every single time, idles like a champ to. but when ya go to give it full throttle, i can tell shes not getting to the max high rpms it once had and it will intermittently bog. Like either bog right off going to give full throttle or once its full throttle it'll do the intermittent bog deal etc...Its like its starved for gas just enough to be a problem.

Things I've done;

New plug, NGK's always

Cleaned spark arrestor screen which was damn clean but still cleaned it thoroughly

Took out fuel filter which looked very new yet blew it off & put back in.

Checked Fuel vent which was fine

Air filter still looks new, blew it off anyways and reinstalled.

Ran some extra Sea foam through it.

I don't think I've used this machine any where near enough the way the spark arrestor looked so clean that the muffler has a quantity of carbon build up to cause this but not ruling it out either or its just the Walbro carb/needle is crapped up or what.

was thinking of just replacing the carb but would rather try the cheaper fixes first.

any added suggestions on what the issue is or what I should try next besides replacing the carb?

Much Appreciated!!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never ever need to replace carb on Echo.....it simply needs adjustment on the carb. Get the dealer to help you pull the plugs off the needle screws. I would describe more but get bashed by some guys who claim i will be arrested for tampering with epa stuff.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks Ed2Hess, pm sent...
Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

looking at the diagram for that particular carb wyk-345 doesn't even look like this one has needle adjustment screws at all?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The gold one is the device to pull it has no. 91075 2.5mm That is a reverse screw thread on the gold one. Can be used to pull the plugs in stihl blowers also. The blue one has no numbers but has the D shape on end. I would guess hard nose mechanics would recognize these as std tools and could provide help in finding them.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

If this machine is used commercially it has two years warranty. It may be an adjustment another warranty problem. I wouldnt reccomend messing with it while still under warranty-take it to a dealership.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenig's R&S View Post
If this machine is used commercially it has two years warranty. It may be an adjustment another warranty problem. I wouldnt reccomend messing with it while still under warranty-take it to a dealership.
And to your surprise you will walk away with a $75 charge. And why you ask well the procedure is to put in new plug, air filter, fuel filter, breather etc. etc and those are not covered. Then if it still bogs they will pull the plug if they are trained to do it and adjust. Probably half of them put on new carb. The main reason to buy echo is you can adjust the carb and actually get beyond 5 years life out of them.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Happened to mine. First they tuned the carb. The second time they replaced it. Try it at half choke. Mine ran better that way
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Timely thread. My Echo PB 251 handheld just started doing the same thing.
I got it new last season. It will get about halfway through the throttle range and then it starts to randomly bog down - worst at full throttle.

Slow day tomorrow. Off to see the dealer.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine, who works at an authorized Echo dealer says even though he has the special plug removal tool, his go to weapon is a #4 or #6 X 3/4-1" long sheet metal screw. He simply screws it into the plastic plug 'till it bites and pulls it out with a pair of end cutters. He says it works every time!

Of course after he adjusts it to the factory specifications he installs new plugs to stop tampering by us poor consumers.

......AMF!