Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Very Bad Experience with G6 Blades

Have any of you had a G6 blade literally break in half? I've had multiple John Deere blades for my mower and have loved them. The last time I got blades, I decided to give G6 blades a try.

First of all, I don't personally like the cut as much. My blades were about a month old, and I mow about about 8 to 9 hours a week. I have a few sets of warn out John Deere blades and have never had anything like this happen. It was my understanding that these blades were made to bend and not break, let alone half of the blade break off.

I had a few parts under my deck break, luckily just deflectors and it was only about $30 worth of parts plus a new set of blades. I decided that this was my first and last time using aftermarket blades.

I also contacted Oregon last Wednesday and they were supposed to "call me right back." After three to four hours, I called them back to make sure I was not forgotten. I was told that they hadn't gotten a hold of the person they needed to and that they would get back with me. Well it will be a whole week on Wednesday morning. Has anyone else had such bad service with Oregon? I'm not exactly sure what their warranties cover, but should they pay for my blades plus the parts that broke? I would at least think that they should pay for the set of blades.

I have no desire to use there blades again and had to stop what I was doing last Wednesday and drive to the dealer and buy parts for my mower. I have attached some pictures to show my warn John Deere blades compared to these practically new G6 blades. I'm still amazed that the blade literally broke in half. What's more amazing is that I spent 40 minutes looking for the 6 inch chunk of blade and can't even find it.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What happened to the other piece that came off?

I have bought a 10in Magnum edger blade for my walk behind and it lasted one day before it broke in the same place.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have no idea. I looked over the yard for 40 minutes. I had to get some parts ordered and came back and mowed the yard on Friday. Luckily I didn't hit the chunk of blade when mowing, but I have no earthly idea where that chunk of blade is.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A bad blade can happen with any brand of blade. I've seen the same thing from a JD blade. I have been running nothing but JD's (with a Toro thrown in a few years back) for the last 13 or so years, and have used a ton of their blades in all configurations and they are usually top of the line, but like I said, it can happen with theirs just as well.

The person they probably want you to talk to is a very busy guy named Dennis. He is also a rep for Oregon here on this site, and goes by Oregon OEP. He is a good guy and will definitely help you out. They will for sure replace your blades, and probably reimburse you for any expenses incurred from the mishap.

Looks like you are running a 48" deck?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Holy Crap! Be glad no one was around for the broke blade to hit! That's scary just to think about!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes it's a 48 inch deck. I agree with you and completely understand that things can happen with any company. I think what I'm frustrated with, as of right now, is the bad customer service I have had so far. Not saying that that won't change. It's just a little annoying that they have not gotten back with me.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip25521 View Post
Yes it's a 48 inch deck. I agree with you and completely understand that things can happen with any company. I think what I'm frustrated with, as of right now, is the bad customer service I have had so far. Not saying that that won't change. It's just a little annoying that they have not gotten back with me.
I agree with you on that for sure. That's just not right for any comapny to do. I didn't meant to sound like I was making excuses for Oregon, they need to take care of you sooner than later. I just know that if they wanted you to talk to Dennis, he is so busy usually that it takes a while for him to get back to all the people he has to deal with when he's in the office.

Did you look to see if the broken piece was imbedded into anything nearby?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes I did look. I was on the very edge of the yard and everything to the right of the mower was all grass/driveway. I did check the ground where it happened, but didn't see anything. I'm pretty sure the lady that I talked to was with warranty services and she said she had to talk to another lady. So I'm not sure exactly who is supposed to be helping me. From what I've seen on here, the Oregon rep seems pretty good. Maybe he'll end up helping me. Who knows.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There aren't any dead bodies lying behind the shrubbery anywhere is there?

That thing must have went a good ways off if you couldn't find it. I know this may sound crazy, but did you look up on the top of the deck at all for the piece? It may have went out the back, bounced up off the ground, ricocheted off the bottom of the machine, and landed on top of the deck somewhere.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I looked there also. 2 different deflectors under the deck were broken. When I went to replace those I scraped off the little bit of grass that was under the deck and cleared the top of the deck of all grass also. I took that as an opportunity to grease all the points also. The yard is probably about an acre in size and I'd guess maybe 150 feet wide. I'm not good with guessing sizes, but I know it's an acre and more of a rectangle then square. No neighbors have complained about a random metal piece in their cars of houses haha.