Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Which machine exactly are you using?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere z820a
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was just curious sinceyou said you broke two baffles underneath the deck. It must be a MOD deck then?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, it is MOD, but I didn't break the baffles. I was lucky because they're more expensive. One piece that got broke was a deflector that is on top of the blade that is shaped like a cone and covers the spindle area. The other piece was a deflector that's in the middle of the deck, but not one of the moving parts for MOD. The second piece may be a piece that's only on the MOD deck though, I'm not sure. The second piece could also be considered a baffle, but I know John Deere just calls it a deflector.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you're talking about. They are the two adjustable baffles that stick out from the rear skirting in between the blades. I have a 950 with 60" MOD deck. I recently fabricated two new pieces to replace those adjustable baffles. The ones you are talking about. I improved what Deere designed and sells on the machines. I use them under mine with OEM wavy mulching blades and it is awesome, especially for leaves. Far better than the stock design. I can still side discharge, but when I close the MOD, I now have a true mulch kit, and it really mulches exceptionally well. I need to take some pics of what I did. It is very simple, but far better than what they had.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds great. I have high lift blades on mine so I can't really mulch if the grass is anywhere over what it should be. I'll have a small row of clipping on the right side. I mainly just use the mod as an ocdc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of the best things about the baffles I made is that I no longer get any windrowing along the chute side like I did with the stock baffles and the MOD closed.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
One of the best things about the baffles I made is that I no longer get any windrowing along the chute side like I did with the stock baffles and the MOD closed.
I'd be interested in seeing your design, I don't have a deere but my Toro is set up in full mulch mode, and I get that strip on the chute side usually, I just go back over it and it 's gone but if I could eliminate it all together it would be even better.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
A bad blade can happen with any brand of blade. I've seen the same thing from a JD blade. I have been running nothing but JD's (with a Toro thrown in a few years back) for the last 13 or so years, and have used a ton of their blades in all configurations and they are usually top of the line, but like I said, it can happen with theirs just as well.

The person they probably want you to talk to is a very busy guy named Dennis. He is also a rep for Oregon here on this site, and goes by Oregon OEP. He is a good guy and will definitely help you out. They will for sure replace your blades, and probably reimburse you for any expenses incurred from the mishap.

Looks like you are running a 48" deck?
It's not a good idea to step into someones shoes and take control. I'd understand if you worked for the company.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have quite a few people running the gator g6 now. I am getting mainly the 100 hour plus use before having to sharpen where the regular fusions are getting around 30. I havent seen a gator broke yet, but I did have a log chain wrapped up around one that was a nightmare to get out. So far they have been good performers with the grass and decks down here. Certain decks different blades do better than others, on the Bad Boy and Hustler decks we run super lifts on the vx4 and outlaw decks, but on the fastrak, lightning, or zt decks the create alot of blowout, so the smooth high lift works better...
Did you see where the city guy was mowing a property on the news a few years back and the blade broke and went threw a brick wall and stuck in the side of a refridgerator where a lady was washing dishes? I think it was Indiana or somewhere close, one of the craziest stories I have heard. They predicted it had to have the force of a big caliber hand gun to have that kinda power....

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"