Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Holy crap I sure hope something like that didn't happen here. I did hear about a city worker or someone mowing school property and something flying out from under it hit a wall or two and then hit a student.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There was a big one too where it hit a little in the head from across the street and killed her instantly, but I think that was a projectile like a rock or something.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

That's definately a sad situation. It's crazy what all has happened around mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What did you hit or do you know? Something had to had given that a powerfully shock to break like that.

It is apparent that the blade was not heat treated properly, making it brutal.

I hit a wheel horse front belt mule (about as big as a football) straight on and tossed it 20 feet, ripped about a 1 inch gash in the frame that holds the pulleys. Did not even see a mark on the Gators.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I honestly have no idea if something got hit or if the blade just broke. I cannot find anything in the yard that got it or the blade.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
It's not a good idea to step into someones shoes and take control. I'd understand if you worked for the company.
I'm not stepping in for anyone. The rep posted the stuff about replacing any blade that was found faulty in thread here on LS here before. That's why I've been asking him about the missing piece- in case they'll want to see it.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

They did tell me that they want me I send the blades to them. Part of what they were supposed to get back with me about was the shipping label. I also haven't gotten a chance to tell them I don't have the other piece.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'd be interested in seeing your design, I don't have a deere but my Toro is set up in full mulch mode, and I get that strip on the chute side usually, I just go back over it and it 's gone but if I could eliminate it all together it would be even better.
I don't think what I came up with would help anyone else that doesn't have the MOD deck. It's really nothing special, but it is a huge improvement over what comes on the machine.
Does your Toro have an area on each baffle between the blades when the mulch kit is installed where it's partially cut out like the Exmark and Scag mulch kits do?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Certain decks different blades do better than others, on the Bad Boy and Hustler decks we run super lifts on the vx4 and outlaw decks,
Hey Retro, what exactly are these super lifts? Make and part number would be great. Thanks for any help. Wouldnt mind trying some.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip25521 View Post
Have any of you had a G6 blade literally break in half? I've had multiple John Deere blades for my mower and have loved them. The last time I got blades, I decided to give G6 blades a try.

First of all, I don't personally like the cut as much. My blades were about a month old, and I mow about about 8 to 9 hours a week. I have a few sets of warn out John Deere blades and have never had anything like this happen. It was my understanding that these blades were made to bend and not break, let alone half of the blade break off.

I had a few parts under my deck break, luckily just deflectors and it was only about $30 worth of parts plus a new set of blades. I decided that this was my first and last time using aftermarket blades.

I also contacted Oregon last Wednesday and they were supposed to "call me right back." After three to four hours, I called them back to make sure I was not forgotten. I was told that they hadn't gotten a hold of the person they needed to and that they would get back with me. Well it will be a whole week on Wednesday morning. Has anyone else had such bad service with Oregon? I'm not exactly sure what their warranties cover, but should they pay for my blades plus the parts that broke? I would at least think that they should pay for the set of blades.

I have no desire to use there blades again and had to stop what I was doing last Wednesday and drive to the dealer and buy parts for my mower. I have attached some pictures to show my warn John Deere blades compared to these practically new G6 blades. I'm still amazed that the blade literally broke in half. What's more amazing is that I spent 40 minutes looking for the 6 inch chunk of blade and can't even find it.
Chip25521 who have you talked to about this? I would like you to contact me by PM so I can get more information. If you have been trying to get me I do apologize but I have been out doing training for the company and have not been able to respond very quickly. We take any problem with one of our products very seriously and want out find out why this happened. I am very glad to hear that no one was injured. I look forward to hearing from you. I am very sorry for the problem and inconvenience this has caused you.