Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark Ultravac - Rebuild or Replace?

I was just wondering if you guys rebuild or just replace your Ultravac power units. Mine is to the point where it needs a rebuild...lots of play in the shaft (yes it's tight) and both the plastic and steel housings are worn through...epoxy only goes so far. I suppose I could weld a repair onto the steel housing.

I did replace the impeller years ago after it inhaled a large rock and bent it all to hell. It wasn't hard to replace it but there was quite a bit of dis-assembly/assembly and a lot of bearings/bushings. I'm thinking that with having to replace/repair the steel housing I'm probably better off just buying a new one...dealer quoted approx. $750. I rely on my Ultravac pretty heavily for fall cleanups and don't think it will make it through the season.

Thoughts?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I rebuilt one once and It was a PITA, then again it was the first time I took one apart as well so your ahead of the game since you have had yours apart. How much are you looking at in parts ?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We do the bearings once or twice a year. Well, we used to. Something about employees that can break an anvil not working for me has greatly reduced these types of repairs. Go figure.

Done a few parts. Last time I bought a spare it was $500. Wonder if they were guessing or if the price went up that much. Seems high.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Bearings are 70 and fan is 185. Housing at dealer is 125. I rebuilt mine lasted 2 seasons and then sold it. That was a 2005 toro Ez vac. I just did my bearings on my ultra vac so hopefully it lasts all season and next . I say rebuild if ur handy. . First times a pita. Second was a breeze. Took 1.5 hrs front to back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer looked up the price but they don't discount at all either, which is fine by me because they're a good shop and I want them to stay in business. I didn't price out the parts but figured it would be a few hundred with the bearings, lower steel housing and the plastic housing. It almost looks like the impeller has contacted the steel housing because it's almost like it's ripped open but there's not THAT much play in it. Maybe it was just thin and a rock got in there, but it's been spitting stuff at me. Repaired it with epoxy putty again for now.

Well the first time was a bit of a pita for me because I was working on it on the back of my truck tailgate...had everything all laid out nicely and a thunderstorm rolled in so I had to just grab everything. I was glad I took some pics of it with my digital camera during disassembly Maybe I'll rebuilt it after all. I guess a few hundred bucks on parts is better than $750. One thing I'm sure of is that I'm gonna put Locktite on when I put the impeller shaft on...it came lose twice on me after replacing it until I did that.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Member

The metal and plastic housing wore through on my ultra vac also, epoxy, jb weld and such would not hold on the metal. Blower was shooting debre out and at me on mower and hole was getting bigger by the week. Finaly took it all apart and welded a thin piece of metal on the inside of the blower over the hole and thin area. Then used a little epoxy to fill in the hole area on the outside and repainted it all. Looked brand new and worked great. In all a couple hour job
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I ended up buying new housings and bearings. Got the bearings for the idler arm as well and some missing hardware. It was expensive for everything though to the tune of $500 plus. I checked pricing online and it was 10% less but I believe in supporting my local dealer. I'm not very good with welding thinner metal.