Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone with a Bunton gear drive walk behind PLEASE READ

I picked up a basket case BG48-14KAW Bunton walk behind several weeks ago. It was in the process of replacing the blown 14hp Kawasaki with a new one. I got it back together and broke in the new motor but with the blades disengaged the motor pulley tries to grab the belt and drives the blades. I tightened the blade brake and it starts to smoke the belt and chirp. I downloaded a Bunton manual that covers my mower but it does not show the motor or pulleys on the motor. I have checked the belt and I have the correct one according to the manual. I loosened the tensioner considerably but it still doesnt help. My next thought is that the pulley on the motor is too big in diameter which essentially keeps the belt from loosening enough to let it slip on the pulley. My local dealer has not been much help because when I gave them my model number their computer says it is not a good number. I showed them the manual and they know it is but really cant find out any more than I already know. If anyone has a mower like this that works properly I would LOVE to have the outside diameter of the engine pulley that runs the deck. My pulley is aprox 5 and 3/8 inches OD. My mower appears to be from the mid to late 90's according to what I can find on the net. Thanks for any input or help. This is a great site!!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

murfpcola,

I don't have a Bunton and I don't recall ever working on one, But I've worked on a gazillion others.....

Here's my guess;

Since this was bought as a basket case, It sounds like the belt guides are missing/mis-adjusted that go on the front two engine mounting screws/bolts (one on each side of the engine pulley)...... These two guides push the belt out of the back of the pulley groove slightly when disengaged......

They are part #35 page 6 in your parts diagram.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 10-01-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

restorob. The belt guides are there but I put them on the back bolts outside of the pulley. I kind of figured they were there to keep the belt from falling off when disengaged. Are you saying that they should be on the front two bolts with the legs on the inside of the belt? If so then that could be my problem. I have been tinkering with this thing but have not taken the time to look at any others or this may have occured to me. I guess that is what I get for assuming. Do I put the mower to engage and then adjust these to where they are just clear of the belt when tight? I know a guy with a Snapper WB, I guess I need to go and look under his. That will prob answer my questions. Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They go on the front two as mentioned, Yes.....Engage the belt then adjust about 1/8-3/16" away from the belt. When disengaged the belt should lax out of the back of the pulley and stop grabbing, Again.....Their shown in your parts manual on page 6 part #35......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks a bunch. Ihave the parts and the manual but I had them on the wrong bolts alltogether. Maybe tomorrow I can put it back together and give it a try. I looked at my friends Snapper but it has different type of guide. Now that I read your post, I can see where his does the same as mine once I correctly install them. Thanks again, I will let you know how it works.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Restrorob!! I installed the belt guides as you instructed and while doing so noticed what was probably a bigger problem than them. I had installed the engine pulley upside down. While I was laying under the mower I noticed the pulleys did not line up well at all. The pulley has a hub on one side that is about 1/2" thick so when installed upside down it puts the pulleys pretty far out of whack. This effectively "side loads" the belt giving it plenty of area for traction. I flipped the pulley and adjusted the belt guides and it engages and disengages fine. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kool...... Nutter satisfied cusomer.....

Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have also found out about that thing to do with when putting it back together correctly it tends to work much better.