Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2012, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki engine - Spark Plug wire issue? Ignition Module?

The past few days I have had trouble with my 34hp Kawasaki engine. It begins to surge, revving up and down, and eventually dies. Well, I decided to check the plugs and when I did I noticed one plug wire was barely connected to the spark plug. So I assumed this was the problem. I connected the plug wire to the plug and it started and ran fine. Great! Maybe not... It ended up revving up and down so I messed with the plug wire again and it started back up. Ran great for 30 mins or so. Same thing happened, so I checked plug again and made sure it was making a good connection. It fired back up and ran 20 mins probably. Same thing, eventually died. Looked at the mower and noticed this time the plug wire was completely off. Every time before it may/may not have been a little loose. But this time it was completely off the plug. Ended up crimping it down so it would stay on better, but still have the same issue. Runs about 20 mins and starts doing it again. Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe it's the entire ignition module? Have you experienced any spark plug issues with your Kawasaki engine? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just had a 34 Kawi in the shop last week.

The engine would drop a cylinder under load. Start, run, rev just fine. Engage the PTO and it would drop a cylinder. I replaced the plug in the "dead" cylinder. Problem solved. I ended up replacing both plugs. You don't see it very often but a plug solved it.

Q
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
I just had a 34 Kawi in the shop last week.

The engine would drop a cylinder under load. Start, run, rev just fine. Engage the PTO and it would drop a cylinder. I replaced the plug in the "dead" cylinder. Problem solved. I ended up replacing both plugs. You don't see it very often but a plug solved it.

Q
Thanks for the reply. I changed plugs the first time it happened, but it didn't solve the problem. I really wish that it would have though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple of things come to mind. Have you checked the fuel cap for proper venting? If its an emissions unit the tank still needs to vent, make sure the valve at the fill neck is working and hoses are not kinked and the charcoal filter is not plugged etc. Could also be the fuel solenoid acting up/ dirt around the pintle partly clogging up the fuel flow. Pull the hose off the fuel filter and check the flow, could be a partially clogged filter. I don't think its ign.

......AMF!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an update: Once it warms up it runs about 15 mins and starts acting up. Turn it off, mess with plug wire, crank it up and it runs another 15 mins. It kept doing that for a solid hour of mowing.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why dont you buy th eplug wire, it may be expensive if its made into the coil but worth a try.
Just a side note water in your fuel will give you the same symptoms.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

When I change spark plug wires on an automobile, be it a car or a truck...
I ALWAYS keep the old ones, for the parts such as the little steel clips that go on the end of the wire, and the boots.
They're called terminals, some places call them ends.

But I do believe you can order some online, they'll run you a dollar or two, each.
You might need a good boot, too.

Here's one such place:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-49807

Remember, it's a lot cheaper to keep old spark plug wires.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Why dont you buy th eplug wire, it may be expensive if its made into the coil but worth a try.
Just a side note water in your fuel will give you the same symptoms.
That's what I'm going to do, buy the ignition module for that cylinder. Hopefully it will solve the problem.

I've never had any issues with water in fuel, but it's very possible. I could maybe use some fuel additive?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrguy View Post
That's what I'm going to do, buy the ignition module for that cylinder. Hopefully it will solve the problem.

Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I'd try. Coils/Ignition modules are known to fail as they heat up before they go totally, so what you describe makes perfect sense if that coil is starting to go.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
That's what I'd try. Coils/Ignition modules are known to fail as they heat up before they go totally, so what you describe makes perfect sense if that coil is starting to go.
The part should be in this wknd. I'll update everyone nxt wk and hopefully we can resolve the issue.
Posted via Mobile Device