Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2003, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great marketing idea or not?

Ok guys -- tell me what you think of this idea.

I'm gearing up to do some Spring Aerations. One idea I had was to offer a free soil test with every aeration -- my county extension will do basic ones for about $5. Then, while I'm at the property doing the aeration I take a soil sample -- send them off.

And then when I get the results back in a couple weeks I'll send them off to the dcustomers with an estimate for things I could do to help them such as lime and fertilizer and compost.

What do you think -- Good idea or a waste of my money?

Also -- has anyone used the doorhangers from growpro.com? I wonder what kind of response rate I could expect? $442.00/1000 is a little steep. I would need to sell atleast 6 for every 1000 put out just to recoup the cost.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 01-21-2003, 10:37 AM

I think the soil test idea is a good one as long as you are able to use it to close on the tail end. Clients need educated. Good idea.

Door hangers - have you priced anywhere else?
Old 01-21-2003, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Any time you can create a legitimate reason for communicating with your clients is worthwhile. The fact that you are offering them a free service and positioning yourself as the expert with the solution to their problem is all the better.

Kill'em with kindness.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Great marketing idea or not?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamons
Also -- has anyone used the doorhangers from growpro.com? I wonder what kind of response rate I could expect? $442.00/1000 is a little steep. I would need to sell atleast 6 for every 1000 put out just to recoup the cost.
try www.nebs.com they have 4000 for arround $250
Old 01-21-2003, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Growpro

I have looked at lots of different places -- but have been the most impressed with the growpro materials. They look nice anyway -- I'm just not sure that they will equal enough new sales.

I know that I could do a very nice 2 color door hanger for about half the cost -- but straight dollars does not automatically correlate with more customers --- but......... if they would bring in more customers it would be worth it.

I wish life had a ctrl-z undo button. I could try it and if it didn't work I could just push ctrl z and it undoes the last mistake I made!

Old 01-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Banned

i use focal point products. i consider myself an advocate of these products. if you look at the price of 1,000 then go up to 2,000 you save a tremendous amount. that should justify the cost of 2,000, then your response rate will be higher.

your best bet is to call joe and get the skinny..

tell him:
jonathan daniel
from greenstar lawn & landscape refereed you..
Old 01-22-2003, 04:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another site you can try is www.postcardwarehouse.com They designed a two sided doorhager for me that looks just great. Min. buy is 2500. The final cost was about $380 but look very professional. I tried to add attachment but was to big. Check it out though they do a great job!
Old 01-22-2003, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My plan

Do you think I should anticipate the usual 1% return rate if I hand out 1,000 professionally designed door hangers or flyers for aeration.

My thought is that it might be higher for a one time specialized service such as aerating -- especially if I can grab them with an attractive price. Of course I have to try and find that fine line beween attaractive price and leaving too much money on the table. The never ending dance between volume and profit when trying to do gross sales.

Most of they yards I will be doing are in 8k - 10k range. I think that $10k will be too high. What are your thoughts?

Old 01-22-2003, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: My plan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamons
Do you think I should anticipate the usual 1% return rate if I hand out 1,000 professionally designed door hangers or flyers for aeration.

My thought is that it might be higher for a one time specialized service such as aerating -- especially if I can grab them with an attractive price. Of course I have to try and find that fine line beween attaractive price and leaving too much money on the table. The never ending dance between volume and profit when trying to do gross sales.

Most of they yards I will be doing are in 8k - 10k range. I think that $10k will be too high. What are your thoughts?
I tried the discount aeration approach this fall with very poor response to my mailing.

I got better response from my newspaper adds pricing at approximately $10 / k.

You will quickly find out that aeration is work, if you price at $10 / k you can gross $80 to $120 /per hour while you are on the job site.

I would keep the price level up if I were you.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Banned

GO WITH FOCAL POINT!!!!!!! they will not do you wrong