Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the walker mbk the right mowing i need?

Hi i'm new at this business only one yr. This yr i'm looking to buy a new a ztr. i have a 2000 36" toro wb.Most of my accounts are small yards 1/4 acre or less,some have gates and couple are on lakes. few are 1/2 acre,one 3/4. i cut 7-10 yards a day solo,looking to bump to 12+. I'm looking for a lite weight mower in the 800# range. A 42" deck would go though all but 2-3 biweekly gates. i'm not looking for speed. Just a good commercial rider(not standon or wb). I like the walker mbk 42" mulch deck, with maybe 56" sd deck later. One mower to do almost everything.
I just think the bigger ztr's are over kill for what i do. And they won't fit 95% of my gates. Has anyone used or seen this mower used. Walker site says they only make commercial mowers, and at over $7000 its not cheap junk.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I could be wrong, but I heard that Walkers don't mulch very good
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker mowers are very well built and preform well; that particular one is well matched to the 42" mulch deck. However, 18 hp isn't enough for the 56" side discharge deck, so if you do eventually want one of those larger decks, I'd recommend something with at least 23 hp, preferably 25 hp.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would almost be tempted to get a MT23 or MT26EFI set up without a blower and catcher before getting a MB. The larger frame unit will ride better, go faster, hold more fuel, and handle the larger deck you mentioned a lot better.

That being said, the MB would be great if all you are planning on running is a 42 inch deck.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks,great advice. i think the 42" mulch deck is all i will need for now. Yes the 3 gal tank is small. But thats what my wb has, and i carry gas cans. I never use more then tank a day. Seems like the monthly ppl i had this winter all had trees. Mulch them leaves before they get back, less work. Everything i,ve learned has been from other ppl . Meeting pros or working as helper til my biz kicked off. Thank you all!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
Walker mowers are very well built and preform well; that particular one is well matched to the 42" mulch deck. However, 18 hp isn't enough for the 56" side discharge deck, so if you do eventually want one of those larger decks, I'd recommend something with at least 23 hp, preferably 25 hp.
mbk is a commercial mower right?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have never used a walker, your best bet is to demo one first. I hate that style of mower. Some people love that style. I am a hydro walkbehind or z person. I don't care much for the standers and can't stand the walker/navigator types.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The MB Walker is built very well, moves quick and nimble and the Briggs has more than enough power for a 48" deck. The MBK will also power the 52"SD deck. Have used an MB Walker for serveral years now with zero issues.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i second oldclawn the MB is plenty enough power.. we ran it with a 52 side discharge with mulching kit and was fine with that being said we are cutting weekly no biweekly yards... right now we run a 20hp kohler with the new 48 mulch deck and love it.. cant beat a walker you definately headed in the right direction!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclawn View Post
The MB Walker is built very well, moves quick and nimble and the Briggs has more than enough power for a 48" deck. The MBK will also power the 52"SD deck. Have used an MB Walker for serveral years now with zero issues.
How wide is the machine without a deck? Will it fit a 36" gate? I have 2 big back yards my wb fits in. If i had both 36",48" decks i could cut every thing i've got. Or will the tires hit?

Tags
need a new mower , new in business , walker mbk , walker mowers