Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

When we first got the 997 we noticed the left front wheel wobbled at transport speed on the driveway. But, it being spring and with 113 acres to keep mowed, we didn't give it much thought. By the time we had 100 or so hours on it the tire tread was gone from it wobbling and spinning around. We mentioned it to the dealer when we went to get blades and we were told that we should have told them when we first got it. They pulled the assembly and stated that it was bent. Now keep in mind this is a 2 inch forged steel shaft. They never accused us of bending it( you would have to drop the 1800 lb. mower about twenty feet onto the front wheel to cause it to bend), but just stated it wouldn't be covered under warranty because we didn't bring it to there attention when we first noticed a problem?! We spoke to a factory rep and I asked him about it and he stated that he would "take a look at it", but he never got back to us on it. We then started having the same issue with the other front wheel, so we took it and they looked at it and found no problem. About a month later the bearings went out on that wheel and it destroyed the races so badly they could not replace them. Had to put a whole new bearing housing on the front end for $1100.00! They said it looked like we hit a curb with it. We live on a farm, there are no curbs! Then one of the quick release bolts on the ROP stripped out and we were told that stripped bolts are not covered!? So, basically, nothing is covered on a new John Deere! But they were quick to let us know that the new ones come with a 3 year warranty! I love the mowers cut and the power is great, but when I spend $15000.00 on a piece of equipment I don't want to hear excuses about my warranty not covering something because we didn't tell them in time?! What, is this a game? If you didn't tell me when you first saw it, it isn't covered....And then for the factory rep to just blow us off....I'm looking for something else that has a REAL WARRANTY! JD can kiss my money goodbye!!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
So, basically, nothing is covered on a new John Deere! But they were quick to let us know that the new ones come with a 3 year warranty! I love the mowers cut and the power is great, but when I spend $15000.00 on a piece of equipment I don't want to hear excuses about my warranty not covering something because we didn't tell them in time?! What, is this a game? If you didn't tell me when you first saw it, it isn't covered....And then for the factory rep to just blow us off....I'm looking for something else that has a REAL WARRANTY! JD can kiss my money goodbye!!
Its not just Deere... My redmax blower needs a rebuild, took it to the dealer and they wouldnt cover it. Told me it wasnt worth fixing buy a new one. I asked them a few questions on what would be covered. It came down to manufacture defects. I went to stihl talked to them and got the same feedback. So I just bought a used blower. Whats the difference? If every problem is going to be blamed on the end user. Theres no point in buying new unless you like shiny stuff.

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/
Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Its not just Deere... My redmax blower needs a rebuild, took it to the dealer and they wouldnt cover it. Told me it wasnt worth fixing buy a new one. I asked them a few questions on what would be covered. It came down to manufacture defects. I went to stihl talked to them and got the same feedback. So I just bought a used blower. Whats the difference? If every problem is going to be blamed on the end user. Theres no point in buying new unless you like shiny stuff.
I agree. That's why I was considering the used Kubota. I could have bought it for $6500.00. That's about 3 grand off the MSRP. Figured I'd let somebody else take the depreciation. Glad I found out about the deck gearbox problems though. $1200.00 for a gearbox that's gonna fail again is a bit much. I'll keep looking....
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you guys should have bought scags they have 2 diesel options for the 61" and 72" mowers, very few issues they are built like tanks. probably close in price to the kubota's but better quality.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We run into the kubota alot carrying the grasshopper. The grasshopper seems to be alot more mower for theyou price and have the kubota diesel for engine which is great. Gearbox for the hopper is like $227... i have mowed with alot of mowers and the diesel hopper is a really nice setup. I have a 325d with a 4x rear discharge, suspension forks, trimmaster roller wheels on both sides of deck, bar lug tires, hd rear bumper, and it is absolutely my favorite mower to mow my yard right now. If i was cutting again i would have to have a side discharge too for the really wet mornings... talking to other dealers they seem to work on the hoppers less than other mowers. We have kubota dealers that sell hoppers around here too that say that...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So what does a 72" mid mount grasshopper sell for? Around here they are almost non existent.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

430d is their top of the line same motor as the 331 bota. Retail is over $17000, but we sell between 14700 and 15000 here. Price varies per dealer. No pay till april 0% for 48 months, or they have a layaway where u buy today with $600 down and dont have to take delivery till april. They give you $600 off accessories that way. 3 year full commercial warranty, they are great machines. 430 has power deck with foot assist. Thing with hopper is they make alot of their parts in house like spindles etc and not outsourced so they perform better and last longer. Love the front roll on the deck too....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The inhouse thing is what kubota brags about. Do you think the hopper is a better machine than the kubota? or bad boy? All of these diesel mowers are price pretty close to the same.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
sounds like you guys should have bought scags they have 2 diesel options for the 61" and 72" mowers, very few issues they are built like tanks. probably close in price to the kubota's but better quality.
When I priced it, it was 4 grand more
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
I agree. That's why I was considering the used Kubota. I could have bought it for $6500.00. That's about 3 grand off the MSRP. Figured I'd let somebody else take the depreciation. Glad I found out about the deck gearbox problems though. $1200.00 for a gearbox that's gonna fail again is a bit much. I'll keep looking....
To this whole gearbox thing I got 900 hrs on mine. Its called changing the oil. After the first 50hrs after buying a new one, and 400hrs there after. Then if he would of got the 4yr waranty then he would of not had to payfor it.
Posted via Mobile Device