Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I can appreciate your background, in fact, I took my first welding course in 1970....so that's what, about 43 years ago? And how long after that were you born?

I still weld occasionally now (in my own shop), so I guess you could say I know a little about what a good weld looks like too...and the ones on my Bad Boy Lightning all look great. Most done by robotic welders like BB (and other name brands) use, do look good. Because, as I'm sure you know, they're more precise, and consistent, than "human hands".

You also say that you don't like BB because they use a "simpler design that is cheaper to make". To that I say, GREAT! As long as it doesn't adversely affect the build quality, that's what I want! Cosmetics that cost extra don't mow the grass any better....and they certainly do nothing for the longevity of the mower. They do one thing....they cost more. If that's what you're after, go for it.....but I'll keep my money.

As for taking pics of my work, I'm not here to push BB, I just get annoyed when people with no experience at all with them, pretend to know more than people like me that have actually owned and operated them for years.

To the OP. Once again I apologize. I won't reply again, no matter how ridiculous the statements about BB get.
Please lets get a positive and detailed BB review on LS. Lord knows hundreds of horrible BB reviews have been deleted. Seems only you and a BB dealer have anything good to say about them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Has Kubota's quality changed over the years? I ran a Kubota F2000 in the mid 90's with over 5000 hours. It was built like their tractors(industrial quality).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Has Kubota's quality changed over the years? I ran a Kubota F2000 in the mid 90's with over 5000 hours. It was built like their tractors(industrial quality).
Posted via Mobile Device
His zd 28 (or whatever model) didn't have issues. When he went to the zd331 he has had gearbox and many other issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
His zd 28 (or whatever model) didn't have issues. When he went to the zd331 he has had gearbox and many other issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats to bad. I hope it gets worked out as the gearboxes have always been know for longevity and was one of Kubota's good selling points.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been talking with several kubota guys around my area and all they have done is praise the mowers. I have asked about gear box failure and no one has had one at least that they will admit too. I am considering one with a 72" deck but would like to hear more on the problems that are being mentioned. Same with the Deere 997. Although the deere is out of my price range I think.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
One of my sons went to use the JD 997 this afternoon, he said, Dad, it's making a noise, come listen to it! Now the left front wheel bearing is shot, moves all around. I checked the caster on that wheel(the one that was replaced about a month ago)while I had it in the air, it's hanging up when you turn it all the way around?! Took it to John Deere and was told the wheel bearings only last about 1000 hours....and there is no grease fittings on the wheel?! An 1800 lb. mower and non-greasable wheels! I'm amazed....
Got it back today. $142.+ for a wheel bearing installed. $66.00 for the bearing!?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow how much was a wheel for it?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
Got it back today. $142.+ for a wheel bearing installed. $66.00 for the bearing!?
that don't make any sense. they charged you $76 labor for a 10 min job? or are these rear wheels?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
that don't make any sense. they charged you $76 labor for a 10 min job? or are these rear wheels?
Thats prolly their minumum charge as a shop one hour. Just take them off next time, run up to your local purvis bearing or something and put on yourself for $15....

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
No, that was ONE front wheel bearing!