Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Husqvarna 323L Trimmer Filter

I'm taking some time to do some equipment maintenance and just took the air filter out of my fairly new Husky 323L trimmer for the first time and I was surprised to see that it only uses a tiny little foam filter. I have always been told by mechanics that a good air filtration system is the key to longevity in an engine. Is this thing really adequate? Also, the manual says to oil it if used in dusty conditions, which I don't really feel mine is. Should I just oil it anyway? It felt kind of oily but that could just be from use I suppose.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They come shipped from the factory oiled. Most manu's now say not to oil the filter. A friend of mine who owned a lawn care equipment dealership once told me that the manu's were now recommending leaving the filter dry because so many homeowners had no clue about how to do correct maintenance and would literally soak the filter and reinstall it, which would lead to obvious problems, especially while the machine was still under warranty. I oil my filters anyway, same as I always have, which is just enough to make it slightly damp to the touch, but no where near enough to prevent air flow.

I have had no issues with the air filter in my 223 over the last year, and IIRC, it is the same filter you have. It seems to stay very clean even when I am using it in very dusty conditions.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I just don't like foam filters. In my experience they tend to deform after a while and let crap in around and under the edges. I do have some filter oil although it's Kawi (for our dirt bikes) not Husky. The procedure they give in the manual for using a plastic bag to oil it seems silly. I usually just oil it, work it in and then squeeze out the excess. I don't care if I get a little oil/solvent on my fingers.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is foam, but at least it's a fairly dense foam. I've seen some air filters that are foam that are next to useless. Plus, I like the way the little spikes in the lid stick down and hold the foam in place, which does help prevent it from shifting around to where dust can get by it.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Green...back to work...........
Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mine is deteriorating. I think the 223 filter is special order from
"my" cheap co-op dealer. They couldn't find it in the book.

Never oiled mine and it still has all the HP it ever came with....so far.
It's 4 or 5 yrs old.