Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mulching with old Jacobson crew-king..height?

I thought I'd try this this year..had mower for years in shed and great shape. I do have chute block on and baffle underside. I still need to get gator blades or such but ones on there (2) are 12 3/4" long each and not sure thats right ones as measures 34" across deck?..But the question is this: Mower is set quite low in front by me for trying it on mulching..But the back where it's bolted to frame is set in highest setting. their is another set of holes so I could lower it another inch or so in back..Do I want it somewhat lower for mulching? back is quite high compared to front right now. I can raise front but then deck would be several inches above grass? As it is now it leaves lines of chopped leaves along edge as mowing- may not get away from that but wondering if lowering back will help. Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The deck should be close to level, with a slight pitch down to the front on the blades (generally around a 1/4" when you have the option available to you) as you can make it. That will definately help with mulching. Doesn't sound like you have the right blades either. They can be hard to come by for some Jacobsen mowers. I have a 40 year old 19" push mower I use regularly for ditches etc, but I have never found a new blade anywhere yet that will work under it. I'd like to though as it is a very light mower (maybe 35-40 lbs) and easy to push anywhere.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

update on blades..thanks

Thanks riding-green..I just got this mower out of storage recently and looked at tape without my glasses on (should know better) but I re-measured and the blades are correct at 16" each. The deck outside to outside is accually just over 33",but cutting pattern is more like 32". I think this is a 32" mower. So should I lower the back then to get more level with bit of pitch? the front of deck is maybe 1" above grass- back is at least 2 1/4" above grass..close to 2.5" If I drop to lower mounting holes that would put me maybe 1 1/4 " above grass in back and front is at around 1" above now.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, lower the back to be as close to level with the front as you can and still have a small amount of pitch. If you can't do it that way, then make the deck level. A lot of oolder machines were never designed to let you pitch the deck, and all the mounting holes made the height the same (front and back), at each adjustment position.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok will do that tomorrow..

thanks- I think I can get the pitch as I got many differant thickness of caster spacers here and their still is a thick one on bottom side of caster neck. I can go thinner there if need be.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Post some pics of it if you can. I'd like to see it.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

post pic later..

I tried before on pic's without any success..I have a kodak folder but need to load it onto my new pc yet..I'll work on it though.